Homemade peanut butter cups made healthy with real ingredients!
This is about as Halloween-y as I get.
Did someone say weenie?
Moving on; it’s not that I’m above spooky homemade baked goods for Halloween. It’s the homemade part that gets me. I want caramel apple suckers. I want those Butterfinger-Reese’s cup hybrids. I want candy corn (omg not the chocolate kind). I want all the things that don’t come out of my own kitchen this time of year. I’ve got too much respect for mass-produced candy to make my own when we are thisclose to Halloween.
But, when I saw homemade peanut butter cups in Adrianna’s charming new book, The Year of Cozy, I couldn’t resist. I took a quick peek at the yield (9 peanut butter cups), divided that by my usual serving size of peanut butter cups (90), and decided this was the perfect batch of candy for two. Adrianna also has several other small-batch recipes in the book, which just makes my heart smile!
Her book is a big heart-smile for me because it’s basically how to be a cool girl. She has delicious recipes, easy crafts, and pretty things. She also shares her secrets for being happier and doing more of what you love. I’m going to say it first and hold everyone to it: she’s our generation’s Martha Stewart. After reading her book, you just want to be her because she’s so dang cool. Gosh I love her!
I glanced over the ingredient list for her homemade peanut butter cups, and realized that even the chocolate is homemade. I mean, I know Adrianna is amazing and so of course everything she makes is amazing by default, but the ingredient list made me jump into the kitchen immediately. The homemade chocolate part is similar to my homemade candy bars (that just so happen to be healthy and paleo!).
Adrianna’s recipe did not disappoint! Other delicious things from her book that I’ve made and loved: DIY roomspray, golden milk tea (made with turmeric and ginger), and chewy chai snickerdoodles. Hand to the heavens, those things have been the most delicious part of my week! No, my month! Thanks for that, Adrianna. You da best. xo
- 1/2 cup creamy all-natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and warm
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place liners into 9 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, beat together the peanut butter and confectioners' sugar. Add a pinch of salt if the peanut butter is unsalted. Beat until light and fluffy.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk until very smooth.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the chocolate into each liner. Freeze for 5 minutes.
- Add 1-2 small scoops of peanut butter on top of the frozen layer of chocolate.
- Top the peanut butter with the remaining chocolate, and place back in the freezer until firm.
- Add additional flaky sea salt on top, if you like.
- Store in the fridge.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2354 Total Fat: 184g Saturated Fat: 108g Sodium: 559mg Carbohydrates: 174g Sugar: 130g Protein: 39g