Mexican Wedding Cookies (small batch recipe).
When I hosted a giveaway last week, I made y’all tell me about your favorite holiday cookie. That was me secretly compiling information about which recipes to share next here on Dessert For Two. Quite a few of you said that you were looking forward to Mexican Wedding Cookies. I’m so excited to share this recipe because these are my favorite holiday cookie! Great minds think alike, you know.
You might notice the cookies are um, green. Well, in my family, we’ve been dying them green for years. One year, my grandma tried dying them red, but we decided they looked like meatballs and never went back. They’re always green in my family, and they always have Texas pecans.
These cookies also go by the name snowball cookies, wedding cookies, crescent cookies, and Russian tea cakes (I believe walnuts are substituted in these). Quite simply, they are tender butter cookies that melt in your mouth. They deserve a place in the cookie buffet of Christmas.
This is the first installation of Cookie Week 2012 here on Dessert For Two. Stay tuned for lots of delicious cookie recipes this week. As always, the recipes make 1 dozen or fewer cookies, so you can make lots of different kinds!
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla and food coloring until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle over the flour and salt and stir together with a spatula. Finally, stir in the pecans.
- Divide into 12 dough balls on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-14 minutes. Look for slightly browning edges.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, pour the powdered sugar into a small shallow bowl. Remove each cookie from the sheet and roll it carefully in powdered sugar. Move the cookies to a rack to cool completely before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 23mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g