I’m not really sure what to say here, except…I had a craving. A fierce mint chocolate craving. A pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream jumped into my grocery cart last week (on its own accord, I swear!), and it’s really just been one downhill, slippery slope ever since. And somewhere along the lines, I got tired of icy cold and wanted my craving to be warm and fluffy. So, I present these as evidence that I’ve been eating too many chocolate chips. And using mint frosting as a substitute for brushing my teeth. (Kidding. Kind of…)
We have this super hipster donut place in the town that I live. The problem is, the donuts really aren’t that good. And that makes me so sad. I want to love your $4 donuts. But I just don’t. When we get a craving for perfect donuts, we head to a doughnut shop that hasn’t changed what they’re doing since the 1950s, including the prices, and they are perfection. (It’s called World’s Fair Doughnuts, if you’re ever in St. Louis). Anyway, a classic donut shop does the classics right, but lacks the flair of fun, new flavors. So I’m here with soft, fluffy chocolate baked donuts topped with a zippy mint frosting…that totally doubles as toothpaste. I’m kidding! Or am I?
I have a baked donut pan that holds 6 donuts. When I bought it, I doubted I would use it that much, but as it turns out, I use it a lot. I’ve made Chocolate Chai Donuts, Crumb Donuts, Cranberry Cornmeal Donuts, and Pumpkin Donuts with Honey Glaze). If that doesn’t convince you that you need a donut pan, I’m not sure what will! Here’s the one I use, if you’re feeling the donut urge.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk, plus more as needed
- mini chocolate chips, for garnish
- 2 drops green food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375, and grease a donut pan with a capacity of 6.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, sugar, and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla, buttermilk and oil. Combine the wet and dry mixtures and stir just until no streaks of flour remain.
- Finally, stir in the mini chocolate chips. The batter will be thick.
- Spoon the batter into the donut molds, smoothing the surface.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until they spring back when touched.
- Immediately after coming out of the oven, dump the pan onto a cooling rack, and let the donuts cool while making the frosting.
- To make the frosting, whisk together all ingredients (minus the chocolate chips) until smooth. Add additional buttermilk as needed to make a smooth consistency. Spoon the frosting over the donuts and top with the mini chocolate chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 485Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 161mgCarbohydrates: 79gFiber: 3gSugar: 61gProtein: 6g