What are your weekend plans?
If you’re like me, the first thing on your list is a trip to the farmer’s market. The bright colors of our farmer’s market right now are pulling me in.
If you’re even more like me, you over-buy. I buy more vegetables than two people can eat. I just can’t help it—I must have every color of squash, pepper, and onion! I also must buy radishes because who knows how much longer their season will last? Last week, I came home with 2 huge bags of vegetables. I got to work right away.
First, I made a quick marinade with balsamic, olive oil, and Italian seasoning. Then, I got to chopping. I sliced 2 colors of squash, 1 pepper and a small bunch of radishes and scallions. I placed the veggies in one bag, the meat in another, and went to inform the Mr. that it was grill time.
This isn’t really a recipe, more of a guideline for how to grill for two. I’ll give you a suggestion on the amount of vegetables, but the protein and bed of grains is up to you. We went with chicken and quinoa. I could easily see next weekend being steak and farro. Or chickpeas and bulgur.
I hope y’all have fun coming up with mixed grills for two. The goal is to get you and your sweetheart out on the deck, grilling and sipping boozy sweet tea. Enjoy summer, y’all!
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 small squash, any color
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 small bunch radishes
- 1 small bunch scallions
- Preheat the grill to 350, or medium.
- Meanwhile, place the quinoa and chicken broth in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover. Let simmer for 15 minutes or so, until the grains unfurl and most of the water is absorbed. Depending on the size of the saucepan, you might have to let it cook for a few minutes with the lid off at the end to absorb the excess broth. Remove from heat and keep covered.
- Next, have ready 2 plastic bags or 2 large dishes. Place the chicken breasts in one bag, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wash your hands.
- Make the marinade: combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and Italian seasoning.
- Pour half the marinade on the chicken and toss very well to coat.
- Finally, chop up the vegetables. Slice the squash in half lengthwise, slice the pepper into large strips, halve the radishes, and trim the ends off the scallions. Place all the vegetables in the bag and pour the remaining marinade on top. Stir to coat.
- When the grill is hot (you can hold your hand about 6" above the surface for 3-5 seconds), add all the vegetables except the scallions. Add the chicken to the opposite side of the grill.
- Cook everything for 6-7 minutes per side. Add the scallions after the first flip--they burn easily.
- Test the chicken for doneness, it should be firm to the touch and above 165-degrees internally.
- To serve, divide the hot quinoa between 2 plates. Top with sliced chicken and vegetables. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 851Total Fat: 61gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 49gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 949mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 6gSugar: 15gProtein: 44g