These luscious chocolate cakes are the perfect ending to a romantic dinner for two. For an extra special touch, sometimes I omit the espresso powder and sprinkle liquor over the cakes right after unmolding. Whiskey, Cointreau, Frangelico, and Amaretto are all welcome here.
In my experience, the fluted Pyrex cups unmold easier than straight-sided ramekins.
- 1/3 cup (2 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder (I like Medaglia D’Oro brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Spray two small custard cups liberally with cooking spray.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler over low heat, or in the microwave using 30-second pulses until the mixture is homogenous. Whisk eggs, sugar, espresso powder and vanilla using an electric hand-held mixer until thick ribbons form, about 3 minutes. If you’re doing this step by hand, use a big wire whisk and don’t stop until the mixture turns a pale yellow and forms ribbons. Fold the flour into this mixture, and then the chocolate. Divide between the two custard cups and bake for 13-14 minutes, until the tops of the cakes look well done. If you under-bake, the center of the cake will pour out the top when unmolding. Let stand for one minute before inverting onto plates. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 246mgSodium: 223mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 6g