This cherries and cream dish is one of my favorite summer desserts. The vanilla flavors in a good quality whiskey will be accented by the vanilla in the cream.
Makes 2 small cups of panna cotta.
- 1/2 cup milk (I use 1%)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon unflavored powdered gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sliced pitted cherries
- 2 teaspoons whiskey
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- First, make the panna cotta: In a small saucepan add the milk. Sprinkle the gelatin on top and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium and cook while stirring until the gelatin dissolves. Do not let the milk boil. This should take about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and sugar to the milk and continue cooking while stirring for another 3-5 minutes.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, turn off the heat. Stir in the vanilla. Divide the mixture between two serving dishes. I prefer small wine glasses. Chill the mixture for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- An hour before serving, make the cherry topping by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Let sit at room temperature. To serve, scoop the cherries on top of the panna cottta.