Peanut butter rice krispie treats for two.
Well, the time has come to introduce Camille to rice crispy treats. I realized this the other day when she was eating an unsalted dry rice cake and referred to it as a ‘rice krispies treat.’
It was like a slap in the face as a parent. My kid actually thought a rice crispy treat was an unsalted rice cake/ hockey puck spread with all-natural sugar-free peanut butter infused with flax seed.
Someone lock me up. I’m clearly an unfit parent, and am ruining this kid’s life.
Sooooo, I pulled out the marshmallows and began to make her a small batch of rice krispie treats.
But, being the mother that I am, I had to include some kind of healthy thing in there. It’s just who I am. So, I plopped in some peanut butter. For protein, you know?
I don’t know why I never thought of this before, but DANG, peanut butter in rice krispies treats is incredible.
Camille tasted her first real rice crispy treat, and now I know she’ll never go back to the other version. It’s okay, childhood is for marshmallows and nutritionally devoid cereal, right?
Sometimes, I add sprinkles on top for her, because nothing says love like sprinkles to a toddler. (Click on sprinkles to see the cutest sprinkle shop in all the land! You’re welcome!)
Peanut butter rice krispie treats for two:
If you’re new around here, I make small batch desserts (did you know this?).
I made these peanut butter rice krispie treats in a 9″ bread loaf pan, You can slice them into 3 thick bars or 4 pieces, either way, and you still don’t have an entire tray of them on your counter tempting you.
Leftover desserts are the worst, aren’t they? I can’t resist leftover cookies or rice krispie treats for breakfast, so this is the only way I can live my life (and fit in my pants).
Camille wanted me to let you know that sprinkles on top are very welcome!
But also: don’t miss the chocolate version! –> Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 5 ounces marshmallows (about 22 big marshmallows or 2 1/2 cups of the mini marshmallows)
- 2 1/2 cups rice krispies cereal
- First, line an 8 or 9" bread loaf pan with parchment paper in one direction, and spray all sides with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a 2 quart sauce pan, melt the butter, peanut butter and marshmallows over medium heat until melted and smooth, stirring frequently.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the rice krispies cereal. Mix very well!
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan, and let cool for an hour to set.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1319 Total Fat: 58g Saturated Fat: 22g Cholesterol: 61mg Sodium: 951mg Carbohydrates: 188g Sugar: 80g Protein: 20g