Peppermint brownies…these brownies are for my love.
My dude LOVES mint. I grow a little pot of it for him on the window sill during the winter months, and I contain it to a pot in the garden during the summer. If I really need to kiss up to him, I make him a mint julep.
Needless to say, peppermint patties are almost always in our freezer. The fact that they made heart shaped peppermint patties for Valentine’s Day this year makes me so happy. Maybe they made them last year, but somehow, they missed my annual Valentine’s Day Candy Review post.
Anyway, we have them this year, and we have already eaten an entire bag. They’re so cute! Sometimes heart-shaped candy doesn’t always turn out like you would hope, but these heart peppermint patties are perfectly cute!
If you’re new here, I make brownies for two people in a 9″ bread loaf pan. You can slice it in half for two generous bakery-sized brownies, or slice it into 3 pieces and share the last piece.
These peppermint brownies for two are probably the richest brownies on my site (besides the Blackberry Cheesecake Brownies) because of the ganache/ chocolate glaze poured on top. I love the ganache, though, because it has a little peppermint extract. There’s a small amount of peppermint extract in the brownies, too.
The brownies have just the right amount of mint! They’re the perfect balance of vanilla, mint and chocolate. (I happen to be a big fan of the vanilla mint flavor combo, and if you’re with me, try my Vanilla Mint Marshmallows).
So, here’s the drill: press 6 peppermint patties into the surface of my standard brownies for two recipe, and bake them. While the brownies cool, make the chocolate glaze. I like to cool the brownies in the fridge so the glaze firms up as soon as it hits the surface (it’s not entirely necessary, though!). After your pour the glaze on top, press 6 more peppermint patties on top. Yes, these are rich.
You can make these all year with regular round peppermint patties, too! But we all know that heart-shaped things are better than non-heart shaped things.
Yields 2 large brownies
Peppermint patty brownies for two.
20 minPrep Time
23 minCook Time
43 minTotal Time
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 peppermint patties
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3 drops peppermint extract
- 6 peppermint patties
- Preheat the oven to 325, and line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter, sugar and cocoa powder.
- Microwave for 30 seconds on HIGH.
- Stir, and microwave for another 30 seconds on HIGH.
- Stir the mixture very well, and then add the salt, vanilla and peppermint extract. Stir for 1 minute to cool the mixture.
- Next, add in the egg, and stir until its incorporated.
- Finally, add the flour, and stir for 50 strokes!
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, and place the peppermint patties on top.
- Bake for 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with fudge crumbs clinging to it. The surface of the brownies is shiny when done and starting to crack.
- Cool the brownies in the fridge.
- Make the glaze by combining the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl, and microwaving in 20-second pulses until smooth and melted. Be careful not to burn it--it's better to remove it from the microwave before all the chips have melted and let it rest on the counter.
- Stir the peppermint extract into the glaze, and pour it on top of the chilled brownies. Immediately press the remaining 6 peppermint patties on top. Slice and serve.
- Slice and serve.