Y’all trust me when it comes to desserts, right? I thought so.
So, believe me when I say that pineapple + buttery bread crumbs + cheddar cheese is delicious.
I found this little gem of a recipe in my Mom’s recipe collection.
My Mom is a little uneasy sharing recipes with me. Maybe it’s because she’s afraid I’m going to make them better (by adding cheddar cheese) or maybe it’s because she’s worried I will mess up her meticulously organized recipe cards. When I go home to visit, I always request to look through her files. She sits right next to me (so close she’s actually pinning me down with her legs and preventing any sudden arm movement) and doles out the recipe cards one by one. I can’t look at another recipe until I’m done reading the first—not unlike looking at fine jewelry at a store. My Dad finds this absolutely hilarious, and I’m lucky that he always offers to copy the recipes for me in bulk and mail them to me.
If I haven't told you before, adding cheddar cheese to fruit is a decidedly Texan thing. Don't knock it 'til you try it. My parents especially love it on canned peaches and pears.
Print this little 5-ingredient recipe, stow it away til the weekend, then pull it out for a slightly fancy Easter brunch side dish. I think it goes especially well with savory breakfast sandwiches or my buttermilk biscuits.
- 1 20-oz. can of pineapple chunks (packed in 100% juice)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs (from 1 or 2 slices of fresh bread)
- Preheat the oven to 350. If you're using a metal loaf pan, line it with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the drained pineapple until some chunks remain. Reserve the juice for another use.
- In a small bowl, stir together the pineapple chunks and brown sugar. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan, then top it with the cheddar. Next, sprinkle on the breadcrumbs and drizzle the melted butter on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bread crumbs are golden brown and crispy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 562Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 284mgCarbohydrates: 87gFiber: 3gSugar: 65gProtein: 8g