Next up on the month-long countdown to Valentine's Day: festive pink macaroons.
These little coconut cookies look a bit unassuming. If you think coconut macaroons are just globs of shredded coconut held together with some stuff and taste plain like coconut, I have to say you're wrong. As the coconut bakes in the oven, the edges get crispy and buttery. My macaroon recipe calls for almond extract, which makes these little chewy cookies with crispy edges taste like candy. A coconut truffle of sorts. Once dipped in white chocolate, they are not only delicious, they are festive for Valentine's Day. I added one drop (seriously, just ONE) of red food coloring and they became a pretty pink.
You can put them in a cute treat bag and tie them up with pink ribbon, and then give them to your sweetie. If you're wise, you should choose a treat bag that holds only 4 cookies, and eat the remaining 2 cookies for yourself. Not that I speak from experience...
I shaped my cookies into little pyramids, but I've also made them round before. It's up to you. Next time, I think I'll make them flat to maximize the crispy brown cookie bottom edges.
My coconutty Valetines, this one is for you.
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg white (1 ⅛ ounces)
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 drop red food coloring
- 2 ounces white chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients (except white chocolate). Use a large spoon to scoop 6 cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Do not compact the cookies or the toasty edges will not form. Scoop them loosely.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and turn it down to 325°. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- If you would like to dip the cookies in chocolate, melt the chocolate in the microwave on short pulses. Pour the melted chocolate into a small bowl and dip half of each cookie in the chocolate. Let chocolate dry before serving.
The food coloring is optional--they're pretty without it, too.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 83mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g