Pumpkin chai cupcakes are a fun way to bring the spicy flavors of a pumpkin spice latte into a cupcake form! Small batch cupcake recipe makes just 4 cupcakes.
I found a way to cram a full 1/2 cup of pumpkin into just 4 cupcakes. It’s one of my gifts, I tell ya! Which reminds me, have you seen my Pumpkin Nutella Muffins yet?
It feels like pumpkin spice is getting all the love this year, when really, chai lattes are just waiting for us all year to enjoy them. I love a good pumpkin spice latte for sure, but my everyday drink is a chai. While I can only wait for my favorite coffee shop to carry a pumpkin chai latte, I had to make cupcakes in the meantime!
This is a small batch recipe for pumpkin chai cupcakes with a spiced buttercream. You can use any spices you like, or leave them all out and use vanilla instead. Whatever you want to frost your pumpkin cupcake with is up to you! If the only spice you have is cinnamon, that’s super yummy here, too.
How to decorate pumpkin chai cupcakes:
I used a Wilton star tip to make the little star frosting decorations, and it couldn’t have been easier! Even I am impressed with myself, hah!
Other pumpkin desserts for two that I love include: pumpkin creme brulee, pumpkin whoopie pies, and my small pumpkin cake roll. If you’re looking for ways to incorporate pumpkin into breakfast, you have to check out my small batch pumpkin scones for two.
Okay, I’m leaving you in a pumpkin haze to enjoy the Fall weather! I hope you love these pumpkin chai cupcakes!
Oh, since you might ask, YES you can double this recipe is you need more than a small batch of pumpkin cupcakes. These would be so great to share!
Makes 4 cupcakes.
- 7 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 chai tea bag + 2 tablespoons boiling water (or 2 teaspoons chai concentrate syrup)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a muffin pan with 4 cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, sugar and vegetable oil. Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined. Don't overmix.
- Divide between the cupcake liners and bake for 28-32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes cool, pour the boiling water over the chai tea bag and let steep for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, beat together the butter and powdered sugar until fluffy (about 3-4 minutes). Add the brewed tea (or chai concentrate syrup) and mix well. Frost the cupcakes when they are completely cool and serve.