If you need a little pumpkin spice flavor in everything you eat this fall, I have the perfect no-bake dessert for you! This small batch pumpkin rice krispie treats for two is so fun. Make it in the microwave in minutes, and then press it into a rough loaf shape. Once it sets, slice in half for two generous rice krispies treats!
Imagine me, getting the idea to use my homemade pumpkin pie spice mix in a small batch of rice crispy treats, and then grabbing my keys and excitedly heading to the store to gather ingredients. I'm making my way to the baking aisle in the store, and right before I pick up a bag of mini marshmallows, I see it: pumpkin spice marshmallows. Whoosh--that sound was the wind leaving my sails.
So they make pumpkin spice marshmallows now, did you know? They make pumpkin spice everything now, though, so my shock was limited to a brief second. I've seen pumpkin spice sausage links, pumpkin spice hand soap, and pumpkin spice gum. Why wouldn't there be pumpkin spice marshmallows?
And even I can admit that a pumpkin spice marshmallow sounds pretty dreamy. I wouldn't say no to one floating on top of hot chocolate. I love a little spice in my chocolate; it reminds me of my favorite chocolate ginger cookies.
But, as you can see, I pressed on with my original plans.
- Butter. Since we only need one tablespoon of melted butter, it doesn't matter much if its unsalted or salted butter.
- Marshmallows. You need 1 cup of mini marshmallows. This is about 80 mini marshmallows or 7 large marshmallows. If you want to stir in extra after the mixture is homogenous and starting to set, you can!
- Pumpkin Pie Spice. We're using an entire teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. This is a pre-made spice blend consisting of all the things you love about my mini pumpkin pies: ground cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger.
- Rice Krispies Cereal. We need 2 cups of crispy rice cereal for these pumpkin rice krispie treats, but please know that you can absolutely double this recipe and make it in an 8-inch square pan.
How to Make Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats:
I hope you aren't searching for the rice krispie treats that have orange food coloring and are shaped like a little pumpkin with a chocolate or green stem. This recipe is not for pumpkin-shaped crispy rice treats, and I'm sorry! However, this pumpkin rice krispie treat recipe is for two perfectly sweet, sticky and crisp treats full of pumpkin pie spice.
- First, melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl that is big enough to stir everything else into it. It should only take about 15 seconds to melt the butter, and be careful not to over-heat or it will pop in the microwave and splash out of the bowl!
- Once the butter is melted, add the marshmallows, and return to the microwave for 25 seconds. Stir this sticky, melty mixture together.
- Sprinkle in the pumpkin pie spice, and stir again.
- Finally, stir in all of the rice krispie cereal, and stir very well to combine. Once it's homogenous, you can stir in a few extra marshmallow for extra gooey flavor, but it's optional.
- Scrape the pumpkin rice krispie treat mixture out onto a piece of parchment paper (because it's nonstick). Dip your fingertips in water and shape the treats into a rough loaf shape.
- Let it rest, and then slice into half to serve. Alternatively, you could press the mixture into 4 muffin cups for individual servings.
At the very least, the takeaway here is a small batch of rice crispy treats, that when cut down the middle, make two giant squares. I've also pressed a small batch of rice crispy treats into muffin cups, too. It's up to you. The method with this version of the recipe is a bit easier because it's all made in the microwave.
Just a little heat, heat, and stir, stir, stir.
And you can totally buy those pumpkin spice marshmallows if you want. They come in cute fall shapes, like leaves and acorns, and even I can admit that's pretty dang adorable.
Pumpkin rice krispie treats are one of the first pumpkin recipes I make each year, because they don't actually contain pumpkin, just pumpkin spice. It's a great way to ease yourself into pumpkin season.
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup (packed) mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups crispy rice cereal
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the butter. Melt in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Next, add the marshmallows and microwave for about 25 seconds, until the marshmallows start to melt and are puffy.
- Stir the marshmallows and butter together until all the way melted.
- Next, stir in the pumpkin pie spice and salt. Stir very well.
- Finally, stir in the cereal.
- Once the mixture is homogenous, scrape it out onto a piece of parchment paper. Use your hands to shape it into a mini loaf about 9-10 inches long.
- Let the mixture set for about 30 minutes, and then slice it in half and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 216mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g