Are y'all ready for another Valentine's Day dessert? I sure hope so. Please, let us not go into the fact that I’m makin’ whoopie pies for the day on which most couples will be makin’ whoopie. Please. I beg you. If you must make such a joke, please direct it at the lovely ladies over at Like Mother, Like Daughters because they requested these little cakes in my last post.
Yield: Yields 4 sandwich cookies.
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
These red velvet whoopie pies are a real treat!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- FOR THE PIES:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon red food coloring
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup buttermilk (I use 1%)
- FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°.
- Cut a sheet of parchment paper or wax paper that fits a large sheet pan. Use a 6-ounce standard ramekin to trace 8 circles onto the paper. Flip the paper over so that the pencil marks won’t touch the cakes.
- Then, in a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Add the egg yolk and food coloring.
- Sift over the flour and baking soda. Beat it together, adding the buttermilk slowly. The batter will be thick. Use a cookie scoop to measure 2 teaspoons into each circle on the sheet pan. Spread the dough into a circle as best you can. If you demand perfection, use a piping bag.
- Bake for about 10 minutes; they will still be very soft but a toothpick inserted will come out clean. Let cool on the pan for a few minutes before moving them to a wire rack. Let cool completely before adding filling.
- Beat together all filling ingredients. Divide the filling between 4 cakes. Top with the 4 remaining cakes to make sandwiches.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 0gSugar: 22gProtein: 5g
Haha! I laughed out loud. I guess it means I'm innocent if I didn't even think of that. They look so cute and festive, I think I might have to make these for my coworkers!
You do realize that, having just discovered my love of the whoopie pie, I'm pretty much required to bake these immediately, right? (Are those commas supposed to be in that sentence? I feel like it needs them, but it looks kinda off, too. Dang it.)
Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says
Wow! Great recipe! Thanks for stopping by my site so I could find yours
One Healthy Apple says
This looks delicious and the color is so vibrant and gorgeous- love it!
Love this recipe! Perfect for a small gathering ! Made them into heart shape whoopie pies and ingredients I replace 2tbsp of flour with cocoa and added a pinch of salt. Love this ! Happy Valentine’s Day! 💕
Think I'll just use my whoopie pie pan sheet for this. Save some time.