This is my Small Business Gift Guide for 2020. What a year 2020 has been, but at least it has shown us that we need to step up and support small businesses. As a small business owner myself, there were days when we were drowning without childcare, and days when we were surfing the highest wave of your support and love. It has been a wild ride for sure, and my heart goes out to every small business with a foggy future.
The businesses in this gift guide are all from people I know personally, or local people that friends have recommended. I have all of these items in my home, or in my belly.
This gift guide is truly from the heart, and I am overjoyed to use my platform to promote these women. As it turns out, women are the stronger sex, and I don’t think that’s been any clearer than during 2020. We are caring for our families, raising children, keeping a (somewhat) clean house, feeding everyone, working, and running our own businesses. There is nothing we can’t do!
I actually have JessMIA clothes in my closet, I really drink Uncommon Bees granulated honey every morning in my tea, and my kitchen is decorated with a beautiful board from Boards by the BakerMama. I also have a family portrait by FamilyTas in my entry way.
My kids both have rainbows from Melissa in their rooms, and my guest bath has Detroit Rose products because after a quick trip to Detroit a few years ago, I became hooked. I also routinely order books from Semicolon, and appreciate their collection of diverse children’s books.
I love Texas in a big way. All of these Texan women make me so proud to call Texas home: The story of Soul Popped Gourmet popcorn touched my heart, the CreaTEAtion Etsy shop makes me smile, and Plant Vessel is clearly full of beautiful talent.
And finally, I couldn’t be more proud that CookieSociety, a cookie shop down the street from where I live that has been recognized by Oprah in her Favorite Things guide. While I miss the days when cookies didn’t sell out and I could always grab a favorite flavor, I am overjoyed with their success. And now they ship nationwide--you are so lucky!
- CookieSociety. This cookie shop is down the street from me, and my friend Rachel sang its praises to me. And now, Oprah loves it, too. Trust me when I say you should send a box to someone you love.
- Melissa’s Rainbows. I met Melissa at one of my book signings, and she instantly feel like a best friend. My kids each have their own rainbow in their rooms, and I have my eye on a wall hanging, too!
- Uncommon Bees. I discovered granulated honey at a local kitchen shop, and I’ve been adding it to my morning tea ever since.
- Planet Vessel. All of a sudden, I have a big need for cute, decorate planters in my house. I was so happy to find this Etsy shop. Such cute stuff!
- Soul Popped Gourmet Popcorn. De J’s flavors of popcorn are out of this world: fried chicken, banana pudding, dill pickle, mac and cheese. For real, these are all delicious.
- Detroit Rose. I took a weekend trip to Detroit a few years ago and was introduced to Detroit Rose. I love the fragrances, the candles, the skincare stuff, absolutely all of it. Would make a great gift for the fancy people in your life.
- Boards by the Baker Mama. I can’t believe I get to call Maegan Brown a friend in real life! A beautiful board made by her Dad plus a copy of her best-selling cookbook is a fantastic gift for a foodie or someone who loves to entertain.
- MyFamilyTas. A former coworker of mine started this ADORABLE and creative way to celebrate your family. They’re custom clay portraits. She starts with a photo of your family, and then figures are sculpted from clay, fired and painted. Then all the elements are assembled on a chalkboard by gluing the clay figures to the frame and adding custom drawings, personalized messages and names. We love ours!
- BLK AND BOLD. Great coffee for a great cause. A portion of proceeds benefit at-risk youth nationwide. Rise & GRND is our favorite.
- JessMIA Collections. My absolute favorite place to shop online for clothes for me and Camille. The mommy and me matching outfits are actually CUTE. My husband used to work with Mia, one half of the Jess and MIA crew, and I miss shopping in their boutique in St Louis. Luckily, their online shop is just as great!
- Semicolon Books. I discovered Semicolon books this summer, and I am beyond impressed with their selection of diverse books for kids. As a young adult, I became obsessed with Martin Luther King’s writings. I was looking for a way to introduce my daughter to my idol, and I found plenty of kids books about him. I order online, and it comes right to my door.
- Custom Kitchen Towels with Recipes. If you know someone who loves to bake and cook, consider having their favorite recipe transcribed on a kitchen towel. It’s such a sweet memory.
- CreTEAtion. A cute Dallas-based Etsy shop with concrete pieces, leather pieces, jewelry, and other gifts. A unique handmade gift shop with so many cute things!
- Cooking for Two cookbooks. If I didn’t mention myself as a small business owner, well, that would be a shame. I have 4 cookbooks to chose from—2 have savory recipes for those who like to cook for two, and 2 have sweet recipes for those who love to bake but need smaller portions.