The world cannot have too many renditions of s’mores. It’s true, I checked. There is something magical about toasted marshmallows, melted chocolate and graham crackers. It never gets old. S’mores are always welcome, and even more so if it’s warm enough to eat one in the grass while barefoot.
There’s something even more magical about s’mores when you mix in gooey rice krispies.
I made these rice krispies treats by first placing a layer of graham crackers on the bottom of my pan. Then, I made my standard recipe for a small batch of rice krispies treats and piled it on top. While the rice krispies were still warm, I pressed big chocolate chunks into the top. The heat of the cereal melted the chocolate and made it super gooey and super delicious! Then, I snipped jumbo marshmallows in half, lined them up on top, and torched them until golden.
It was a valiant effort to make a dessert that you would make again and again this summer. Ahh, the things I do for you ;)
I noticed a funny thing each time I make rice crispy treats: no matter what size pan I use, they’re always gone in the same day. So, in order to be kind to my thighs, I decided to make a smaller serving size in a bread loaf pan. If I really want more, I can make them again, but chances are, I’ll be happy eating both servings, heh.
This is one of those desserts that my husband sees on the blog and never got a chance to taste it. Sorry, babe. These are too good to share!
Did you see my Strawberry Rice Crispy Treats? I think you’ll like them, too!
10 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons butter
- pinch of salt
- 2 cup rice krispies cereal (I used the brown rice crisp cereal)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chunks
- 2 graham cracker sheets
- 9 large marshmallows
- In a small sauce pan, combine the mini marshmallows, butter, and salt. Warm over medium heat until everything melts into a smooth sauce. Stir often.
- Stir in the rice krispies, and remove from the heat.
- Stir the chocolate chunks into the rice krispies. In order to prevent melting the chocolate too much, I studded the rice krispie mixture with the chocolate chunks after it was already in the pan instead. It was just for aesthetics...do what you like.
- Press the rice krispie mixture flat onto the graham crackers. Next, snip the large marshmallows in half and dot them over the top.
- Broil the marshmallows until brown (about 4 minutes), or use a culinary torch.