I made these especially for you because I know about your salty-sweet addiction. I know you can never decide between the salty pretzel and the sweet pretzel with chocolate drizzle at the mall, and so you buy both. I'm just like you.
This bread pudding is so good. So so so good. I'm not even a bread pudding fan, but I will eat this salty vanilla-chocolate version. Up until now, I thought the only bread pudding I liked was my bread pudding with whiskey sauce. But this salty-sweet version with the malty soft pretzel is my new favorite.
I sliced up soft pretzels and topped them with vanilla custard and chocolate chips. I used these mini pretzel rolls that totaled 8 ounces in weight. If you have regular soft pretzels or pretzel bread, just weigh your pieces.
We're throwing a baby shower for a friend today, and thought she might could use some casseroles to get her through the first few weeks of life with a new baby and a 6-year old son.
I imagine that one night, after putting both kids to bed, Megan and her husband will bake these mini bread puddings for two as a special treat. I'm betting that little brother will wake up at the smell of these baking and want some, too!
You can make these ahead of time in ramekins, and keep them in the fridge for up to 1 day before baking.
Not that you could wait more than 24 hours to bake up these beautiful bowls.
If you want to double the chocolate chips, that's great. If you want to use extra chocolate chips to melt and pour on top before serving, even better.
So, happy baby shower day, Megan! We love ya! And we're all here for you. We'll bake you a casserole anytime you need us.
Soft Pretzel Bread Pudding with Chocolate
I made these especially for you because I know about your salty-sweet addiction!
- butter for ramekins
- 8-oz. soft pretzel bread
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup half and half
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- If you're going to be baking these immediately, preheat the oven to 350.
- Butter two 10-oz ramekins with the butter.
- Slice the pretzel into thin slices about ½" thick. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar vigorously until the mixture is pale yellow and falls from the whisk in ribbons, about 3 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, half and half, and vanilla over medium until almost simmering; small bubbles will form around the edges of the pan. Turn off the heat. Slowly stream this mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Layer pretzel slices to cover the bottom of each ramekin. Sprinkle ¼ of the chocolate chips in each ramekin. Add ¼ of the cream mixture in each bowl. Repeat the process to finish the bread and custard mixture.
- Make a water bath for the puddings to bake in by placing the 2 ramekins in a small casserole dish and adding hot water to the pan until it comes up half-way on the sides of each ramekin.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the bread pudding puffs up and turns golden brown on top. Let cool in the water bath for a few minutes, then carefully lift the ramekins out of the water bath. Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 700Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 358mgSodium: 6495mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 3gSugar: 43gProtein: 22g
Julie @ Table for Two says
This looks so amazing, who could possibly resist this salty sweet combo!
This is just genius - I love everything about it!
This is such a FABULOUS idea!! Two spoons please
Belinda @themoonblushbaker says
Yay more variations on bread pudding. I made one with doughnuts and coffee custard if you would like to take a look. next time I get pretzels I am trying this right away
Jen @ Marshmallows and Margaritas says
I'm not big on pretzels (I know, weird) but my husband LOVES anything pretzel-related. He's also a major chocoholic, so he'd adore these. Thanks!
Karen - Cinnamon Freud says
I love this salty sweet combo. I have never had bread pudding before, but I definitely will be trying this!
Nutmeg Nanny says
Wow, this is so perfect! I love this recipe :)
Um, YUM! You definitely know what a pregnant woman wants right now. Thank you so much for making me and baby #2 feel so special!
Angie | Big Bear's Wife says
oh wow, those looks amazing. I love bread pudding but I've only ever made it with sweet rolls. How yummy this must be with pretzel rolls!