Strawberry pretzel parfait has all of my favorite flavors in one glass: salty, creamy, sweet and crunchy!
Strawberry Pretzel Salad is one of my weaknesses in this life. If you’ve never had the Jello-encased, Cool-Whip cloaked dream, it’s okay. You probably don’t live in the South. That’s also okay. I made you a quick version here so that you can get all the same flavors in way less time.
Let me recap it for you, in case you’re a strawberry pretzel salad rookie: it’s usually made of strawberries trapped in strawberry flavored jello, on top of a crushed pretzel crust with a thick crown of Cool Whip. (And why it didn’t make this list of classic Southern desserts, I’ll never understand).
But, for obvious reasons, my version is a little different. Okay, a lot different.
My version of strawberry pretzel parfait is made of layers of brown sugar-sweetened yogurt, macerated strawberries (the fancy word for soaking fresh fruit in a touch of sugar), and crushed pretzels with a pinch of cinnamon. If creamy, sweet, salty, and crunchy all in one glass sounds delicious to you (do you have a pulse?), then you want this.
The thing about strawberry pretzel parfait is the salt, man. It’s always the salt. The salty pretzels play so well with the sweet strawberries, and oh, the cream. Let’s not forget the cream!
However. I used yogurt instead of cream. I stirred a little brown sugar into full fat plain yogurt for this parfait. Yes, full fat yogurt! Do not be afraid! I mean, the one I use clocks in around 4% fat, which is only double the 2% milk that I put in my coffee and tea.
I like to think blurring the lines between breakfast and dessert is my calling in life, and this strawberry pretzel parfait is my latest masterpiece.
It serves two (in two pretty wine glasses), but feel free to double or triple it to serve your crowd.
Plus, I made you a HOW TO VIDEO to help you make it:
- 12 strawberries, diced
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup pretzel mini twists,
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of cinnamon
- 3/4 cup whole milk yogurt (or sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Place the strawberries in a shallow dish and sprinkle the granulated sugar on top. Stir to combine. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the pretzels to a food processor. Pulse until they are broken into small chunks. Some will pulverize, some will stay chunky. It's all good.
- Drizzle the melted butter and cinnamon over the crushed pretzels and pulse a few times to combine. Scrape mixture out of food processor and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the yogurt or sour cream and brown sugar. Whisk together to break up any brown sugar lumps.
- Into each serving vessel, layer yogurt, strawberries, and pretzel mixture. Repeat. Garnish with extra yogurt and crushed pretzels.
It's best to eat this right after it's made; the pretzels quickly become soggy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 358mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 3gSugar: 25gProtein: 7g