You know how they say your spouse makes you want to be a better person? Yeah, well, I feel like my honey is pushing me towards suicide. I’m almost positive I won’t be here another week.
The Mr. is making me go to the gym 4 days a week. He has this little Marine-Corps-green notebook from which he calls out our interval exercises. This week, his crazy orders have included “hanging reverse crunch” and “sitting bicep curl.” Do those words mean anything to you? Yeah, me neither. I just know it means pains a’comin’. Watching the two of us switch places on the lift bench is almost comical, considering he lifts more than my body weight, and I lift, well, the bar. Why don’t we just stay home and I’ll perch like a bird on a 2 x 4 with a platter of cupcakes and he can use me as a weight bar?
Anyway, I suppose he’s got a good thing going for me. My day job is really physically demanding and the stronger I am, the safer it is for me. But sometimes I feel like it’s not just about my safety and health—I feel like he’s making me into a work horse for the time when we start our farm. I think his goal is to have me able to lift a spool of drip tape by myself. That weighs in the neighborhood of 50 pounds, in case you’re wondering.
Don’t tell him, but I’m secretly excited that I might have a six-pack someday. That only requires 3 or 4 trips to the gym, right?
I have another secret for y’all to keep from him: last week, I ate 2 ramekins of crème brulee before meeting him at the gym. I made up a lame excuse why I couldn’t ride with him, then snuck away to the fridge to gobble them down before getting in my car. Even I have to admit that it just doesn’t feel right to put on work-out clothes between bites of crème brulee. I do have some morals, you know.
Morals aside, I feel like I’ve aged decades overnight. No longer can I bend over to pick up something without groaning. Lifting my arm over my head to put on deodorant requires a hope and a prayer. I know people say working out makes them feel great, but I feel like an 80-year old woman with mobility issues.
Luckily, I have sugar and caffeine to keep me going. These white mocha cupcakes provide just the right pre-workout boost for me. I hope you’ll use them the same way.
Makes 4 cupcakes.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 ounce of white chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cold sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line 4 cups in a muffin pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, sour cream and egg white very well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the instant espresso powder, flour, baking soda and salt. Combine this with the wet ingredients and whisk very well.
- Divide between 4 cupcake liners and bake for 15-17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out with only a few moist crumbs clinging to it. The cupcakes will be flat, not domed like muffins.
- Once completely cool, fold together the powdered sugar and melted white chocolate. Add 1/4 cup of the sour cream and stir, adding the extra tablespoon to get the consistency you want. Frost the cupcakes and serve. Dust with cocoa powder, if desired.