Cheddar Biscuit Breakfast Sandwiches

For all of you that I sent running in the other direction with my neon green smoothie with spinach, this recipe is for you.  I modified my standard half-dozen buttermilk biscuits to make cheddar garlic biscuits.  Consider it an apology for freaking you out with a vegetable on a dessert website.  This is one mouth-watering and savory apology from me to you.

The recipe makes 7 biscuits instead of the usual 6 because the addition of cheddar.  These biscuits are so tender and melt-in-your-mouth (just like the ones at that restaurant chain that sells large crustaceans of a certain color…ya hear me?).  I don’t think you’ll have any trouble finding space for the spare biscuit.  If odd numbers bother you as much as they do me, just eat one straight out of the oven before anyone else sees.

Other recipes in the 2012 Valentine’s Day Breakfast in Bed series so far:
Pina Colada Smoothie
Creme Brulee French Toast

To browse all of my small breakfast recipes, click here.

Cheddar Biscuit Breakfast Sandwiches

makes 7 small 3" biscuits
  • 1⅓ cup flour
  • ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • 1¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons shortening, chilled
  • 1½ tablespoon unsalted butter, chilled
  • ½ cup milk (I used 1%)
  • ¾ cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
For sandwiches:
  • We use 1 egg + 1 egg white and 2 strips of bacon per 2 biscuits.
  1. Preheat the oven to 450 and have ready a small round pan or a cast iron skillet.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, garlic powder and black pepper.
  3. Cut the shortening and butter into small pieces and add it to the flour mixture, cutting it in with a pastry cutter or two knives. When all of the pieces of fat are the size of rice and are coated in flour, add the cheese and pour in the milk. Knead it slightly, and add additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time if the biscuit dough seems dry or crumbly.
  4. Tip the dough out onto a floured counter and pat it out to 1″ thick. Dip your 3″ biscuit or cookie cutter in flour and cut out 4 biscuits. Gather up the scraps and gently pat them out in order to cut out 3 more biscuits.
  5. Arrange the dough in the pan–you want the biscuits to be closer together. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden on top. If you want, brush with extra melted butter as they come out of the oven.
  6. Feel free to do whatever egg:bacon ratio you like.

Comments

I have similar biscuitey things in the oven right now. I’ve actually never had the biscuits from a certain restaurant, but who needs theirs when I have your recipe?

Love these! I am that one annoying person that has issues with odd numbers. Plus, I just want an excuse to eat one of those biscuits straight from the oven.

3. Noelle says

Why, why, whyyyyy did I have to find your blog? Ok, let’s be honest, I’m quite happy I found your blog, except now that muffin top that I worked so hard to lose is going to come back, just by looking at the pic of these biscuits. I seriously could live on biscuits (and honey!). Throw in cheddar, and, well, there goes that.

p.s.-I am seriously lusting after those boots you’re holding in that photo. I’m from NJ, but I really think I lived a past life as a Southern gal. For reals.

And p.p.s–I’m a single lady (sigh), so it’s really great to find recipes that I can make for myself, and just have one serving of leftovers. Thank you.

Why did it have to be breakfast at 10 o’clock at night… now I’m hungry. (Oh yeah, breakfast in bed!) Thanks for giving me something to look forward to in the morning! By the way, my brother’s band (which was semi-famous in Minnesota) was named: “The Lobsters.” :) Thought you’d get a kick out of that!

SO, basically I got a bit holiday happy over the xmas season and (its become apparent) gained 6 pounds in 3 months. SO im on a diet (barf, although not literally!!!) and Im therefore not allowed to really read your blog until Ive lost 4 of them. Will you still remember me when I come back?? After 3 weeks of yogurt and rye bread and tuna I am going to need you!!!! xox

6. Brit says

Fabulous! I’m printing the recipe right now to make these in the morning. Speaking of biscuits and breakfast, do you have a sausage gravy recipe you like? My husband is a huge biscuits and gravy fan, but sadly my gravy-making skills leave somewhat (ok a LOT) to be desired.

7. Leslie says

I made these last night for my 10-year old daughter’s breakfast for the next few days. She loved them. I used a bigger biscuit cutter and got 5 biscuits, which fit perfectly in my 10-inch cast iron skillet.

8. Jen G says

Made these today for brunch and they are awesome! Didn’t feel like rolling the dough so I formed 7 biscuits by hand (kind of like how you shape crab cakes) and they turned out wonderfully. Thanks for a great recipe :)