Fried Ice Cream

Things have been a little icy here at Dessert For Two haven’t they?  If you follow me on Instagram, I’ve been trying my hardest to make you jealous:  I have a live-in ice cream maker.  Mr. Dessert For Two makes a batch every Sunday, which barely lasts til Wednesday.  This summer has seen us through mint chocolate chip, vanilla, chai, and oatmeal stout.  Are you drooling yet?

Ice cream is for lovers.  And for chilling melted hearts.  My heart has been a puddle on the floor lately.

A funny thing happens when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone.  You become hyper-obsessed with their well-being.  I mean this in a way past the obvious sentiment of ‘I love you and want you to be happy.’  I should probably give you some examples.  In the beginning of our relationship, I used to sweetly say ‘drive home safely’ when he would drop me off after a date on Friday night.  But, these days, it’s turned into ‘YOU BETTER DRIVE HOME SAFE AND COME HOME ALIVE BECAUSE WE HAVE A MORTGAGE TO PAY!!’  I think it comes across as a threat rather than a kindhearted sentiment.

I’m not the only one who’s guilty of this behavior.  The Mr. is practically livid that I haven’t found a new doctor in our town.  And don’t even get him started on the fact that I buy generic brand contact solution.  “How can you take chances with things like your VISION?!”  It’s all love—a funny form of love.

Another form of love?:  Asking my live-in ice cream man to scoop store-bought ice cream into perfectly round scoops so I can fry them for you.  Can I recommend Dryer’s/Edy’s coffee ice cream for this? <—Like them on Facebook to help out Operation Smile, a charity that helps provide surgeries for kids in need.

Let’s be real, though:  I am not dropping cold ice cream into hot fry oil.  Only a crazy person would do that (and only a crazy food blogger would expect to take decent photos after that mess, too!)  So, I rolled these coffee ice cream scoops in sugar-ed and spiced corn flakes and declared them delicious.  You will, too.

If you have the patience, make miniature bon-bons to dip in hot chocolate sauce for date night.

And go ahead, worry yourself nuts over your loved ones.  It’s what life is for, afterall.

Fried Ice Cream

Makes 2 large ice cream balls.
  • 2 large scoops of your favorite ice cream (I used Dryer's Coffee)
  • 1 cup corn flakes
  • 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • Optional: warm chocolate sauce
  1. For the prettiest presentation, scoop your ice cream onto a sheet and place it back in the freezer.
  2. In a food processor, combine the corn flakes, powdered sugar and cinnamon and pulse for 10-15 seconds. Pour the mixture out into a shallow bowl. Drizzle the honey on top, then use your fingers to incorporate the honey into the flakes evenly. It's sticky, but worth it.
  3. Take your ice cream balls out of the freezer, then roll them quickly the crumbs. Serve drizzled with warm chocolate sauce and topped with a cherry.

Comments

I was wondering how you were going to fry ice cream! This looks like the perfect solution though, love the idea of that crispy coating!

I am not even kidding when I tell you that I had a dream about fried ice cream last night.

And I’ve never even HAD fried ice cream.

Maybe you are my true love? Surely this means something…

Clever! I actually just watched Paula Deen make fried ice cream on one of her shows yesterday (she would) and thought to myself, “There is no way in hell mine would NOT turn into some sort of gigantic crazy mess.”

Fried ice cream without the mess. So smart.

Awwww. These look so sweet! I love how it’s not actually fried, because I’m deathly afraid of frying oil. I get splattered way too much and it freaks me out and then I’m just a hot…. no not even hot… mess. I would gladly eat all of this by myself :) That’s the fun part about being single ;D

Oh love, it sure makes us do crazy things sometimes doesn’t it? Kind of makes me wish I had someone to be all crazy with. But like Becca says, the one benefit of being single is that you get to eat delicious treats in their entirety! Wait…is that a good thing?!

Very jealous of all the ice cream flavors your handy dandy man has come up with! Oatmeal stout sounds absolutely amazing. Fried ice cream is tons of fun, though I’ve never made it at home. There’s a Mexican restaurant in the town I work that serves huge scoops of fried ice cream all drenched in caramel and topped with whipped cream. Would love to try your version at home! I already have cornflakes on hand, and don’t get me started on melted chocolate!

My boys have been pestering me to make fried ice cream for months! I haven’t even tried it yet but seeing your little bon bons is genius and I will have to try it! Although, I may have to be crazy and actually fry them. I will keep you posted.

Christina, you made me smile with your description of looking out for each other’s well-being! :) Glad to hear you’re settled in, too, and slowing down to enjoy it. Your version of Fried Ice Cream looks and sounds much better than the real deal, but then I only had it once and the restaurant apparently didn’t change their oil… the crust tasted like fried fish! Love the combo of coffee ice cream with cinnamony, sugary crunch!

Wow! Fried ice cream. I have once tasted fried ice cream from a resto in Japan, tasted really wonderful. never thought I can try it homemade =)

10. Jamie says

Just found your blog and love it!! But fried ice cream that isn’t fried should be a crime! Haha! When taken the time to do right, it’s so delicious. It’s not hard to do, just takes forever. BTW, welcome to Kansas! I hope you’re getting all settled. From one Kansan to another.

1. […] 32. “Fried” Ice Cream So the “fried” part of this dessert is a bit of a fib. While this ice cream has all the traditional ingredients necessary for the fried version, there’s no giant vat of hot oil (or messy melting for that matter). Just scoop your favorite flavor into balls then coat them in the Corn Flake crumb mixture. Drizzle with warm chocolate sauce and you’ve got yourself an easy, decadent, and slightly healthier way to end a meal. […]