Profiteroles with Raspberry Sorbet and Chocolate Sauce

Cream Puffs Dessert For Two.com

Say it with me:  pro-feeeeet-er-rolls.  Very good!

We’re going to make profiteroles (AKA cream puffs) for Valentine’s Day, ok?  They’re French, so you know this recipe will impress your Valentine.  If there’s one thing men like it is delicious things stuffed inside other delicious things with delicious sauce on top. You can trust a woman who is getting married in 16 days. Six.teen!

Profiteroles are made with the French dough, pate a choux.  It’s the same dough used for eclairs, because as it bakes, the water in the dough evaporates and leaves a hollow center inside the pastry.  You can stuff them with custards, whipped cream, or fruit sorbets.  If you have leftover sorbet from my Champagne Sundaes, use it for this recipe.  I also think chocolate whipped cream would be great with a fresh raspberry sauce.  Or, this vanilla custard with Frangelico.  Or whiskey-ed cherries.  Or this butter whiskey sauce.  Or anything else your little heart desires.

Cream puffs are a romantic dessert for Valentine’s Day because you can feed each other these little bites between sips of bubbly.  (Did you see my post on champagne tips)?

Cream Puffs - Dessert For Two

The process of making the dough feels odd.  It goes against everything you would think about a light and fluffy pastry.  The first step is melting the butter in water over low heat.  It’s important to prevent the water from boiling because then it will evaporate and alter the liquid ratio in the dough.  Next, flour is added directly to the butter and water mixture.  Weird, right?  Finally, you whip the dough to cool it off before adding the egg, pipe it onto a baking sheet, and bake.  You’ll squeal with delight when you cut them open and find a hollow shell.

Now, go on!  Bake delicious things to stuff inside other delicious things with delicious sauce on top. Your Valentine will thank you for it.

Profiteroles with Raspberry Sorbet and Chocolate Sauce

Makes 6-7 cream puffs.
  • For the profiterole dough:
  • ⅓ cup water
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
  • ⅓ cup flour
  • ½ teaspoon sugar
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • For the rest:
  • ½ cup fruit sorbet of your choice (I used raspberry)
  • 2 ounces dark chocolate
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil or shortening
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a small saucepan, stir together the water and butter over low heat. Let the butter gently melt without bringing the water to a boil.
  3. Remove the water-butter mixture from heat, and add the flour, sugar and salt mixture all at once. Stir, stir stir. Put it back on the burner that's been turned off and stir until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the pan. In other words, the dough will stick together in one big clump around the spoon and not the edges of the pan. It happens in about 1 minute.
  4. Scrape the dough into a mixing bowl, and beat on low speed with an electric mixture until the mixture is only warm to the touch (about 1-2 minutes). Add the egg and continue beating. Beat for a few minutes, until the dough falls off the beaters in sheets and is pale yellow.
  5. Scrape the mixture into a piping bags (or use two spoons) do pipe 6 or 7 little mounds of dough. To get the most rise out of your dough, layer it: make a flat disk, then top it with another disk of dough.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes, then open the oven to rotate the sheet pan. Turn the oven down to 350 and bake for 30-33 minutes. Don't be afraid of a little color on your cream puffs. If you under bake, the insides won't be as hollow.
  7. When the time is up, turn off the oven and leave the door cracked open. Let the shells cool slowly in the oven. If you cut into them while they're still warm, they won't be as hollow. They should almost dry out.
  8. Meanwhile, make the chocolate sauce: melt the chocolate with the coconut oil or shortening in the microwave in 20-second pulses. Stir between each pulse until chocolate is smooth and shiny. Let cool slightly.
  9. Before serving, slice each puff in half. Fill with a tiny scoop of fruit sorbet. Drizzle chocolate on top and serve.

Comments

These are adorable! I love making profiteroles but always fill them with cream – sorbet filling sounds fabulous.
    And as for your wedding – sixteen days?! That’s SO exciting :-)

There’s something about the cream puff that is so romantic and elegant. My mom used to make cream puffs when I was a kid, which was always something to look forward to and I’ve never made them myself. I love that you use raspberry sorbet and chocolate to incorporate all sorts of flavors! This is definitely a something-for-everyone cream puff and looks just delicious!

Profiteroles have actually been on my “bake this” list for months! Seeing how lovely yours turned out (and reading your straightforward description of how they are made) just moved them right to the top of the list.
    And yes: guys do seem to have a soft spot for delicious things inside other delicious things, topped with delicious sauce. Home run Christina!
    PS. 16 days. EEEEK!

Man I love profiteroles! They are so incredibly good! They are really weird to make though haha. I love the sorbet filling though! I never thought of filling them with that :) too fun! Oh my goodness! 16 days! Whoa!!! YAAAAY!!! So exciting! :D

Yes, let’s shout pro-feeeeet-er-rolls! This is one of my very first recipes that I bake, and first love never dies. I miss having them and I’m glad you share the recipe here. So, are you ready? It’s less than 16 days. Dum-dum-dum.

Pretty, pretty, pretty.

I’ve never made cream puffs/pate a choux, although I’ve watched Julia Child and Alton Brown do it lots of times! (So that’s basically the same thing as doing it myself…right?) ;-) I haven’t ever really entertained the idea of profiteroles before since you know I don’t do chocolate, but the idea of a raspberry sauce instead of the chocolate sauce has my wheels turning…

My mom is a master of pate a choux. I have lots of memories of her making eclairs and profiterols for us. I’ve never attempted to make some since I’m pretty sure they’ll all be gone before I have a change to snap some photos
    Yours look so good, I just want a couple right now!
    Thanks for sharing Christina, congratulations on your upcoming wedding and thank you for the lovely comment you left on my guest post on Aimee’s blog

Cream puffs for Valentine’s Day are a marvelous idea, and my experience with pate a choux was also completely unintuitive…but also so easy!

I hope you’ll consider adding this recipe to this month’s Shine Supper Club. This would be a perfect addition!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE cream puffs. My southern grandmother made them for every party, bridge club, etc that she had (and she had a lot). She would fill them with either custard or chicken salad. We got the rejects (read–not pretty ones). We also had them for our wedding reception. Dang it. I need to make some for us.