Earl Grey Tea Latte

Earl-Grey-Latte-2

Remember that Earl Grey tea latte?

I can’t stop thinking about it either.  These tea lattes went from a once-a-week treat to a daily fix.  Times two.  I make 2 lattes some mornings.  I tell myself I’ll have just one and then switch back to green tea.  But, before I know it, my milk is frothing and another tea bag is perfectly steeped.  Again.

I discovered the secret to making a tea latte taste like one from a coffee shop:  sugar. Just a splash.  I use agave nectar most of the time.

There’s a local coffee shop next to my yoga studio that makes a green tea latte just for me, even though it’s not on the menu.  They leave the tea bag in the cup for serving, and I think that’s necessary for green tea since it’s so lightly flavored.  An Earl Grey tea bag only needs 5 minutes of steeping to reach its richest, darkest brown.  I recommend covering the cup during steeping for maximum flavor.

You’re going to need a milk frother for this recipe.  Sorry about that.  But, maybe lay off your Starbucks habit one day a week and you’ll save enough money to buy one?

I got my milk frother as a wedding present, and I love it. Love love it.

Earl-Grey-Latte-1

Earl Grey Tea Latte

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Makes 1 latte
Serves: 2
  • ¾ cup water
  • 1 single-serving Earl Grey tea bag
  • ½ cup 1% milk
  • 1 teaspoon sugar or agave nectar
  1. Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, pour it into a tea cup and add tea bag. Cover and step for 5 minutes.
  2. One minute before tea is done steeping, add the milk to the frother and turn it on.
  3. Remove the tea bag from the water and stir in the sugar. Spoon frothed milk on top and serve.

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

I’m sure I have a milk frother languishing at the back of my cupboard somewhere – will have to dig it out and give it a go! With your green tea latte, do you put milk in? I’ve never had green tea with milk!

I use to get coffee lattes all the time but decided after calculations I could make regular coffee at home. Now I only drink tea and mostly green. I’ve never had a tea latte but it sounds like you know your stuff. I will definitely try this although have to say I’m afraid I will get addicted.

You can purchase hand held frothers some for as low as $10. They carry them at SurLaTable and I’m sure on amazon. Thanks for this recipe.

That looks delicious! I wish I had an earl grey latte right now. : )

I’ve never used a milk frother. I guess it makes a world of difference…now I need to go read about them.

YES! I’m dying to try this! I love my milk frother – like you, I tried limiting my use to the weekends and my habit totally spilled over to the full week. I haven’t tried making a tea latte yet but am definitely inspired now to do so! Love your idea, girly!

Some thoughts and options… I make myself drink green tea – one large cup…but found that the taste is much more pleasant if I follow the directions on my tin (Republic of Tea) and steep it only 3 minutes and water just before the boil. It seems the fragile green tea stewed robs the flavor – at any rate, my experience is I get more flavor from the tea with the shorter time and not quite boiled water…latte or with honey and lemon.

Frother – I don’t have a frother but I do have a co2 whipped cream thing and make my own whipped cream with homemade cashew cream. It whips wonderfully and I top tea, coffee, or chocolate with it and then 10-20 second in the mwave or just let it sit on the hot liquid and it looks and tastes like foamed. The cashew cream has a bit better nutritional bang for the calories than heavy cream but both work. Just an option if any already have a whipper! And whichever I do, I love a bit of fresh grated nutmeg on top.

LOVE those mugs!

6. MamaMo says

I use a french press (like you might use to make coffee) to froth my milk, it makes the most delightful foam and then I put it in the microwave for a few seconds and watch the foam grow :) It works with skim, 1%, and whole :D

7. JenB says

Another alternative to a real milk frother is an Aerolatte frother (just google them or check Amazon) They are significantly cheaper and although they don’t use steam they will whip up a mug of heated milk without a problem! I use mine to make at-home lattes all the time! I’ve never had a tea latte, but I regularly drink tea AND lattes so this will be a fun adaptation of both.

I’m actually a little bit disgusted at myself that I’ve never even heard of this, let alone tasted it. I thought I’d found heaven when I tasted Costa’s gingerbread latte – but this?! Ahhhhh <3 xo

London Fogs are my FAVORITE. For some strange reason, I have never made myself one at home. Which is kind of ridiculous, considering I always have earl grey tea and I own a milk frother. Uh oh…you may have just turned me on to a new habit…

10. M :) says

So…what you’re making is technically called a “London Fog”.
    Except London Fogs use vanilla syrup for their sweetness. And believe me – it is SO much better!
    You can buy the syrup in tons of cafes and online, one popular brand is Torani (in Canada, at least) and you can ask your local cafe which brand they carry. It’ll make a WORLD of a difference to your London Fog.