Chocolate Raspberry Pizza

Double-Chocolate-Pizza-1

I can’t think of a better way to showcase fresh summer raspberries than with layers of chocolate.

I mean, of course, after you eat your share of fresh berries right out of the bowl.

(And by ‘bowl’ I mean right out of the carton on the way home from the farmer’s market).

Double-Chocolate-Pizza-4

Is it just me, or are the berries really good this year?  I haven’t had a single strawberry, cherry, raspberry or even blueberry that isn’t absolutely stellar.  So ripe, juicy and good for you.  So, let’s add chocolate (another health food, obviously!)

The crust for this pizza is a chocolate sugar cookie.  The dough comes together quickly.  Use your fingers to pat it out into a 6″ circle, and pinch the sides slightly to create an edge to hold the melted chocolate.

Double-Chocolate-Pizza-2

After a quick bake in the oven, sprinkle chocolate chips on the dough immediately.  Slide the whole thing back into the oven for 1 minute.  Next, use a knife to spread the chocolate chips into a single melted chocolate layer.  So easy!  We didn’t have to deal with double boilers or melting the chocolate in the microwave—the oven does all the work for us.  All we do is spread, spread spread, and lick the knife when we’re done.  Spread, spread, lick, spread.  Got it?

Double-Chocolate-Pizza-3

You can top your chocolate pizza with anything your little heart desires.  I used toasted coconut and toasted slivered almonds for crunch.  I drizzled melted white chocolate on top.  I’m dreaming of a version with blueberries and orange zest.  Or, cherries and salted caramel drizzle?  Am I making you drool yet?

Chocolate Raspberry Pizza

Makes 1 6" cookie pizza; serves two
For the chocolate cookie dough:
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
For the rest:
  • ¼ cup chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons shredded coconut, toasted
  • 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
  • handful fresh raspberries, washed and dried
  • 1 oz. real white chocolate, melted
  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. First, make the crust: In a small bowl, stir together the butter, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla. Stir the mixture very well, smearing the sugar into the butter until it's well-blended.
  3. Sprinkle the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder on top. Stir until just combined, but don't over-mix. Scoop the mixture out onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silicone liner. Shape the mixture into a 6" round disc, and then use your fingers to gently make a slight lip on the edge.
  4. Bake for 9 minutes. Remove the cookie from the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips on top, and immediately return it to the oven. Let it bake 1 minute more to melt the chocolate chips. When you remove the cookie from the oven, the chips won't look melted: use a knife to spread them and they will melt easily.
  5. Top the pizza with the coconut, almonds and raspberries. Drizzle the white chocolate on top. Serve in slices.

Comments

You know when you stumble across a blog and immediately add it to your feed reader because you just KNOW it’s going to be a firm favourite? Well, I just had that with this.

Chocolate. Raspberry. Pizza. AMAZING.

This looks like a great dessert to double and serve to dinner guests. And I’m already thinking of all the topping combinations that would work well together!

Chocolate pizza? What an awesome idea. I love that the base is a proper cookie/dessert not a pizza-like dough. And am totally with you on fruits – in love with pretty much all berries out there at the moment.

Welp, I know what I’m making for dinner! ;) But seriously, this treaty pizza looks insane and I love that the crust is a chocolate sugar cookie. Yup, berries have been amazing this year! And we’re even getting some good peaches over in CA, which as you know is pretty unheard of! Hope you had a wonderful weekend, mi lady!

This recipe is just so adorable. And I’m glad to know it’s not just me who gets impatient and eats berries on the way home from the market/store. :) I would eat a pint of raspberries every day if I could afford it!

What a FANTASTIC idea!! Dessert pizza seriously sounds like something amazing. I can promise that I’ll try this out, but even more I feel like this could be the next big dessert trend (after cake pops)!

7. Maegan @ The BakerMama says

I’m definitely drooling! And I completely agree that this year’s berries have been extra delicious! I think this would be perfect for a date night in! Yum!

Chocolate and raspberries really do go perfectly together and your dessert pizza looks amazing! I will definitely be making a gluten-free version of this soon. Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my Orange Honey Cheesecake Bars :-)

Love, love, love this idea for fresh raspberries! Chocolate and raspberries (my fave!) rule and I like how the oven does the “dirty work” of all the melting (less dishes) and that you added proper crunch with almonds and coconut. Mmm! Beautifully executed, my dear!

I CAN NOT believe that I am just finding your site. I am Southern as well from (TN) but living in Saudi Arabia for the past 5 years booo lol. Anyway, I also have a food site and have a few small batch recipes bc I hate making more than my husband and I can make. We have a son but he’s picky and never usually eats what we do anyway. I made two of your cakes today for my husbands birthday and it was a hit, thanks.

Aaah! This is just perfect. So pretty and obviously I love the small size! So cute. :)

And I think cream cheese needs to be involved here. It just does. ;) Definitely going to try this at some point!

This was incredible! Made it for dessert last night for the boyfriend and myself. Used muscavado sugar and coconut oil in place of sugar and butter. Ditched the almonds (he’s not a fan) and then covered the whole thing with raspberries fresh from my grandparents’ garden! I’m considering making this again tonight :)