Sangria Sorbet

Sangria-Sorbet

Meet your new go-to summer dessert.

This cold little cup of heaven is already my favorite thing about summer.

Although, when winter rolls around, I will add warm mulling spices and keep eating this.  Icy, boozy desserts suit me well, no matter the time of year.  I’d be lying if I didn’t tell you how frequently I enjoyed a champagne sundae.  Is every day at 5:00 too often?

This recipe for sangria sorbet makes 2 cups of sorbet, but you can easily double it.  Just make sure your ice cream maker can handle the volume.

I recommend a fruity, light red wine for this recipe; a Pinot Noir is perfect in this situation. You can use any type of accent liquor that sounds good to you—anything from Cointreau to peach moonshine. (I’ll give you one guess which one I used!)

I feel like I should warn you about the addictive properties of this sangria.  You’ve been warned.  Now, go make it and enjoy it on a hot day!

Sangria Sorbet

Makes 2 cups
  • 6 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
  • ½ cup fruity red wine
  • ⅔ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 3 oranges)
  • zest from 1 orange
  • 1 tablespoon orange liquor (or peach moonshine)
  1. In a 2 cup glass measuring cup, stir together the sugar and water. Heat in the microwave for about 1 minute, stir together until sugar completely dissolves.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir together well. Cover and chill completely, at least 4 hours but overnight is best.
  3. Churn in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s direction. Scrape the churned sorbet into a dish, cover and place in the freezer for a few hours to firm up.
Notes
Recipe adapted from David Lebovitz.

Comments

Every day at 5 o’clock is definitely not too often! This looks like perfection.
    PS. I’m currently reading David Lebovitz’s “Sweet Life in Paris.” I want to cook every recipe in it! Love that one of his recipes inspired this, and I’m sure your version is even better :-)

Hah-thanks, Stefanie! I was just too cheap to buy those metal ice cream bowls! I didn’t think anyone could tell it was a martini shaker top. oops! ;)

Nice to meet ya, summer dessert! I’m going to need a constant supply of this sorbet, it’s been so hoooooot here! I shouldn’t complain, because in your neck of the woods, it’s probably a good 10 degrees hotter. Delicious dessert as always, lady!

Oh, girl…you AMAZE me! This is so my thang. Really, pure genius. I also love your impromptu food styling and photography here. So clever to use the top of a cocktail shaker for a cocktail “ice” recipe! No doubt I am making this soon as I venture into ice cream mode. LOVE!

What a beautiful and lovely dessert! If only I could drink! I’ll be saving this recipe for post-baby. I can’t wait. This looks incredibly refreshing. Just perfect for a warm summer day.

This is awesome! It reminds me of something I saw in the Food Network magazine this month — sangria floats, which basically amounted to dropping scoops of sorbet into red wine. :) Love the idea of sangria flavored sorbet though!

I’ve been craving sangria all week long and now you’ve gone and dropped this in my lap! Such a great idea! Cool and refreshing. Perfect.