Mason Jar Lid Tarts: White Chocolate Raspberry

Mason-Jar-Tarts-White-Chocolate

Mini tarts, mini tarts!  Nothing is as cute as mini tarts!  (Sorry for yelling; these tarts excite me greatly)!  If you don’t have dozens of little tart pans in your kitchen, do not worry—just use mason jar lids!  Y’all loved my mason jar lid pies, so I know you’ll love these mason jar tarts.

I want to be the girl that brings mini tarts wherever she goes.  I want a purse full of mini mason jar pies and tarts just like these.  Let’s say you flub up parking in the city and you accidentally block someone in.  Hand them a mini tart, and all is forgiven. How about another not-so-fictional situation:  you accidentally lock you and your husband out of the house when it’s 34 degrees outside.  Hand him a tart quickly!  However,the tart is probably in your purse which is probably locked inside that same house.  Yup.

But we’re not going to dwell.  We’re going to move passed this.

Mason-Jar-Tarts-White-Chocolate-3

You can use any type of chocolate for these tarts, just follow the ratio of ingredients:   1 cup of chocolate chips per two tarts.  Scale it up to feed a crowd, or keep it simple and just serve two.  I swirled the white chocolate with seedless raspberry jam, but you could use anything your little heart desires.

Hint:  the way to make the heart shapes is to put one drop of jam on the surface.  Let it set for about 10 seconds, then drag a toothpick through the middle of the dot—viola!  You could just swirl the toothpick around aimlessly for a less-than-perfect look.   I’m currently living my life using the less-than-perfect look, so I’ll be the last to judge your messy tarts.

Mason-Jar-Tarts-White-Chocolate-2

To answer your question:  yes!—they pop out of the rings easily because there is a decent amount of butter in the crust.  To pop the tarts out, grip the mason jar ring with your fingers, and use your thumbs to gently push up.  You may lose a few crumbs, but the crust should stay intact.  I recommend a quick trip in the fridge to set the crust, but before serving, let the tarts return to room temperature.

Mason Jar Lid Tarts: White Chocolate Graham

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Yields: 4 mini tarts
Serves: 2
  • 4 sheets graham crackers, broken into pieces
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 cups white chocolate chips
  • ¼ cup heavy cream
  • 2-3 teaspoons raspberry jam for swirling
  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. In a food processor, combine the graham crackers and sugar. Pulse for about 30 seconds, or until finely ground. Stream in the butter and continue mixing. The mixture should look like crumbs or wet sand, and it should slightly clump together when squeezed in your hand. if you over-mix, it turns into dough--not good.
  3. Place 4 mason jar rings on a small baking sheet. Place the lids with the rubber part facing down inside the rings. (The metal part is facing upwards).
  4. Divide the graham cracker crumbs between the mason jar lids. Use a shot glass to pack in the crumbs and push them up the sides of the ring. Use photo for guidance.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
  6. Next: we're going to melt white chocolate. It can be finicky, so this is the way I do it:
  7. Bring 1 cup of water to boil in a small saucepan. Make sure you have a glass bowl that fits over the pan without touching the water. Add the white chocolate and cream to the glass bowl, and have it ready next to the stove.
  8. Once the water boils, turn off the heat and add the bowl of chocolate and cream over the pan. Stir, stir, stir until the chocolate melts. You may have to turn the heat back on to boil the water again, but I find that if I'm patiently daydreaming while stirring the chocolate, it all melts just fine.
  9. Pour the white chocolate into the tart shells. Tap the lids gently to get rid of any air bubbles. Let sit for 10 minutes.
  10. Add jam drops on the surface of the chocolate, and after a few seconds, run a toothpick or knife through the chocolate to make a design.
  11. I recommend refrigerating the tarts for a few hours to set the chocolate. However, before serving, let them come back to room temperature---the chocolate is too hard when cold.
  12. The tarts will keep up to 2 days refrigerated.

Comments

THESE ARE SO PRETTYYY! Sorry. I was amazed by your mason jar pies back when you posted them, and have been meaning to make them ever since. Now with this reminder, I need to do some serious actioning.

So freaking cute!!! (just like you of course.) Ben once locked us out in zero degree weather during a snowstorm. Let’s just say it was a good way to meet the neighbors. Also, I really wish he’s had one of these at his disposal! The cuties really would make any situation more pleasant :)

Ok, first, you are hilarious. Your intro had me laughing out loud. But second, you are brilliant! I’ve been wondering how to create mini tarts without actually buying a mini tart pan. Cannot wait to put this to use!

Oh YESSSSS PLEAAAASE. How cool that you can use Mason jar lids for mini tartlette pans? Loving it and your brilliance, miss thang. Also loving the flavors of these tarts! White chocolate and raspberry are meant to be together forevahhh.

Ack! To locking yourself out! But having these tarts on hand would definitely make up for it. Actually…I feel like they could absolve pretty much any sin.

6. becca-cookie jar treats says

Oh my goodness! This is ingenious! I never thought about using mason jar lids o.O My mind is blown. Oh and these are adorable tarts! They would make a nice valentine’s day dessert :)

These are the most creative and adorable things i have ever seen! They are so freakin cute and yummy looking! I have mason jars all over the place and this idea never even occurred to me! Consider my mind blown!!

I’m positively floored by your ingenuity here! I would never have dreamed of re-purposing jar lids as tart molds. So, so smart, and definitely an idea I’ll have to steal in the future. ;) Seriously inspired now!

This looks easy and gorgeous and you’re a genius. I’m wondering how much graham crumbs that is in US cups? I tend to buy them pre-ground and would still love to be able to make these. Thanks!

Hi Maria,
      Thanks for writing. I haven’t tried making it with graham cracker crumbs, but I’m guessing it’s about a 1/2 cup of crumbs total? Try that. The crust on these tarts can be thick or thin, either way is delicious :)
      Happy baking,
      Christina

Just stumbled on your website, and I’m already a big fan! My hubby loves all things mason jars, so this is the perfect dessert for us! Thank you!

1. […] Mason Jar Lid Tarts: White Chocolate Raspberry from Dessert for Two Okay, so the mason jar has really made a huge comeback in the past few years. They can be used for anything, literally. You can make lights out of them, centerpieces, vases, food storage (bring back the old days) and so many other things. However, this is the first really unique idea I’ve seen with these. Plus they are super delicious too, especially if you are a sweet freak like myself! […]