Wine Slushies

Wine Slushies @dessertfortwo

Back when I first downloaded Instagram, one of the first photos I snapped was of my then-boyfriend drinking a wine slushy at the California state fair.  I had never heard of the glorious thing that is called ‘wine slushy,’ and so I stood in line over and over again to try all of the flavors.  It was so quintessential California, and so perfect on that hot day.

Why it’s taken me years to post a recipe for the delicious creation is something I wasn’t prepared to speak of today.  Life gets in the way, wine gets drunk straight from the bottle, and wine slushies became a fond memory.  Finally, I got to the point where I just needed one in my hand, dammit!

My favorite flavor by far that day was mixed berry with pink Zinfandel.

Wine Slushy recipe @dessertfortwo

Now, here’s the thing:  I’m a proud red wine drinker.  The darker, the better.  Much like my taste in men, the thicker, the more complex, the richer, the happier I am.  To buy a bottle of pink Zin for this recipe was slightly torturous.  I could feel the guy at the wine store resisting to make a better suggestion.  I know he looked at me and thought ‘yeah, she drinks that.’  No offense to you pink Zin lovers—I have a friend who drinks it exclusively with gobs of ice cubes, and I love her guts.  But, I’m proud of my purple stained teeth.

I persisted for you.  Your life needs wine slushies.  Your summer needs it, too.

Why a home version of a slushy machine has yet to be invented is eluding me.  So, to mimic the wonderful attributes of a slushy machine, we will use the granita scrape-and-freeze method:  After pureeing and straining the mixture, pour it into a shallow baking dish (like a 9″ pie plate), and freeze for 2 hours.  Scrape the mixture every 30 minutes with a fork to break up the ice crystals.  Easy peasy!

One bottle of pink Zinfandel plus 1 cup of mixed frozen berries will make 4 wine slushies.  Feel free to double or triple the recipe, stand around on the deck, and enjoy the hot summer sun with a wine slushy in your hand.  Bonus points for stripey straws!

Were you hoping to see the vintage insta-shot of wine slushy? I found it, circa 2011:

Wine Slushy @dessertfortwo

Wine Slushies

Prep time
Total time

Yield: 2 big wine slushies, or 4 regular-sized ones
Serves: 2
  • 1 bottle white Zinfandel (the pink wine)
  • 1 cup frozen mixed berries
  1. Puree the wine and berries in a blender. Strain the mixture, and then pour the mixture into a shallow dish, like a 9" pie plate.
  2. Freeze for 30 minutes. Scrape the mixture with a fork. Repeat 3 times for a perfect slushy consistency.
  3. Divide between 2-4 glasses, let sit for 5 minutes at room temperature to defrost, and then serve.

Comments

You are so funny, I kind of feel the same way. Although, we did discover one fabulous rose merlot in Napa (consindering I hate rose and dislike merlot it was shocking) and I’m slightly embarrassed to admit that. This would be such a fun party drink!

Dude, you can make wine slushies in an ice cream maker! Just churn it like you would sorbet and drink up! This was a huge revelation for me last summer. Boozy fun!

• Julie says

I’ve been telling the girl and her boy to get those made. My recipe is dang good. Don’t know what they are dilly dallying around about. It’s slushy weather!

“To buy a bottle of pink Zin for this recipe was slightly torturous” – I even feel slightly ashamed just buying whites! I will also judge them forever if someone says they like Moscato or Riesling. I can’t wait to try these!

There is a local red wine here from St. Michael’s Winery called Gollywobbler Black. I feel like it would be PERFECT in this. It’s a blackberry wine, definitely a dessert style and sometimes needs a good squeeze of lemon to cut through its sweetness. But I adore it and pledge my allegiance to St. Michael’s. I’m definitely trying it in this slushy soon!

I love that you call it “the pink wine”. My mom would love this and I happened to have a bottle of “the pink wine” at home from working with a wine company. Now I know what to do with it. Wine slushies for the wine! p.s. I love my deep dark and spicy reds too!

6. stacey says

Wine slushies are my drink of choice while I’m wandering the streets of Fredericksburg! I’d never thought to make my own! I’m usually a “the darker and drier the better” red gal, but when summer rolls around I can’t keep my grubby paws off of the cold pink wines. A winery near our house makes a Strawberry Riesling and Watermelon White Merlot that I can drink by the gallon come June. They’d be PERFECT for wine slushies!

A favorite of mine too; I actually tried making wine popsicles and realized that the volume of alcohol would not let them freeze so we had slushies and a new habit was born! Like your red wine? I mix mine with sparkling wine or water and slushyize that! Time to break out that ice cream machine isn’t it. Or rather, time to figure out where the movers put it! :)

If you like pink zinfandel, you may enjoy a nice Riesling or Rose. Cava works for the summer too, and will give a little fizz to the slushie.

When I first started drinking, I was that annoying girl that only like sweet drinks. Vodka crans, lemon drops, and of course, white zin. Ah! I used to for real buy white zin and keep in the fridge to drink! Thankfully my tastes have matured since then, but I know from experience that sweet pink wine would make an awesome wine slushie. Can’t wait to make these and give them a try! I’m thinking there’s going to be a fancy cocktail hour at my house Friday night : )

10. Diane says

I only drink Merlot however, when I make wine slushies I use the big jug of Carlo Rossi sangria. I pour it into individual plastic cups and freeze them. Yum!!!

How did I not realize you were in St. Louis? Missouri born and raised here and Mizzou grad as well.

I just opened a bottle of pink zin this morning for a recipe – I know exactly what I’m doing with the rest of it!

12. M G says

I have been doing this by dumping the mixture into a gallon sized ziploc, putting it in the freezer and kneading it every so often. Works great and zero mess!

13. Carolyn says

Oh wise one, will pink champagne work or do the bubbles ruin the recipe?
    Sincerely, your humble/aspiring wine slushy maker.

Sorry for the delay! I have been mulling this one over. You know I’m a bubbles girl at heart! I think the flavors of the champagne will come through but the bubbles will be lost. I have a champagne jello recipe on this site that the bubbles escaped from the minute it hit the heat. I’m thinking cold is the same. If you try it, let me know :)