Guiltless Banana Ice Cream

Guiltless One-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream @dessertfortwo

Let’s get real for a sec. Ever since January, I’ve been eating dessert every single day. I had the best excuse in the world—I was writing my cookbook and developing all the miniature desserts for you! But, um, it’s not a lifestyle. It’s a habit.

True life: I’ve been sugar detoxing. Oh my god. Have you ever done this? I’ve been plagued with bitchiness, headaches, and fierce cravings for very specific candy:  those orange slices coated in sugar, lemon jolly ranchers (they make an entire bag of them now!), and pretty much any type of candy imported from Asia. Oh, and YELLOW GUMMY BEARS ONLY. The red and green gummy bears can go to hell. See what I mean? Sugar makes you crazy happy, and without it, just plain crazy.

So, while we’re waiting for the withdrawals to subside, we’re doing sugar-free / naturally-sweetened desserts all week! Are you ready? Do you have your Medjools handy? Kidding (kind of).

Healthy Banana Ice Cream @dessertfortwo

First, we’re starting with ice cream. Just because we’re not slurping sugar, doesn’t mean we can’t have a creamy frozen treat! I know I’m the last person in the world to share this recipe for raw banana ice cream, but just in case you haven’t heard of the magic that is frozen bananas in a food processor, I’m here to increase the quality of your life.

Slice and freeze 4 bananas. Puree in a food processor with a splash of coconut cream. Don’t stop until it’s creamy and fluffy…like real ice cream.

Raw Banana Ice Cream @dessertfortwo

You’re most likely going to eat this right out of the food processor (mind the blade!) because you can’t believe that you just made ice cream out of fruit. But, if you have the patience to scoop and top with chocolate sauce and pistachios, you’ll fall in love all over again. You will have visions of eating healthy for the rest of your life, because all you truly need in life is this guilt-free ice cream. Suddenly, a 5k doesn’t sound so bad. A 90-minute hot yoga class sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon. This banana ice cream is a slippery slope. Don’t let it control your mind.

Easy guiltless banana ice cream @dessertfortwo

One Ingredient Banana Ice Cream @dessertfortwo

Guiltless Banana Ice Cream

Prep time
Total time

Serves: 2
  • 4 ripe bananas
  • 3 tablespoons coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
Optional toppings:
  1. Slice and freeze the bananas in a single layer until hard.
  2. Add the frozen bananas and coconut cream to a food processor. Puree until smooth and creamy like ice cream (see photo for guide).
  3. Scrape the mixture into a loaf pan and freeze for 15 minutes if you want to be able to scoop it.
  4. Scoop into two serving bowls, and top with chocolate sauce and pistachios (optional).

Comments

Well this sounds really good. I’m currently kicking caffeine, hopefully for good(!) for the same reason as your sugar detox; when I don’t have it I get super bad headaches, moodswings and generally don’t like myself very much. Good luck on the sugar detox, here’s to making it a more frequent thing with healthy desserts like this!

bahahaha! All the yellow gummy bears! Sugar detoxes are a major pain in the ass….it’ll go away soon, I promise. In the meantime, either hideaway in your house away from all the peoples, or walk around with a sign that says “forgive me for the things I say while I’m detoxing” < – I think I need to make a shirt that says that….I'm 200% going to make a shirt that says that.

Anyhoo…banana ice cream. I freaking loves! I used to make it in the ex bf's Vitamix before we parted ways…being torn from that Vitamix was one of the most traumatizing parts of the breakup…did I just say that? I reckon I did.

Slippery slop my friend. You’re going to be doing an Iron Man before you know it! Ha ha! Actually I am the last person on the planet who has not tried this. I keep seeing it and saying “oh yeah I gotta do this”. But then something else always comes along. Ack. But I’m totally gonna do it this time! XO

4. Jessica L. says

HA! I had a friend visiting for the weekend and we definitely overdid it on the bourbon and amazing food, so last night I signed up for a week full of hot yoga. I need a detox badly.

We tried Whole30 at the beginning of August and I made it 10 days before falling off the wagon… in part because I had a headache for literally the entire 10 days, and no amount of migraine medicine/Advil/etc would help! Sugar detoxing is some serious business. We need to start again, though, because I am a slave to Red Vines, sugar-covered orange slices and gummy bears.
    I haven’t tried the frozen banana ice cream with coconut cream, but it sounds (and looks) even better than plain bananas. Will definitely try it soon!

Love the addition of coconut cream here – makes it look a little more ice creamy and a little less soft servey. Definitely making. Oh, and the sugar detox? The pain is REAL. The sad thing is.. eat some sugary dessert and your body will be like WTF and it all starts again! Can’t we just come out with a healthy sugar-free powered sugar substitute already.. that tastes and acts like sugar?! WE HAVE WATER JETPACKS FOR CHRISSAKE

So happy I stumbled across your blog (It is gorgeous – I am a sucker for anything glittery gold!). I love banana ice cream and imagine with the addition of coconut cream it would taste divine :) I imagine after hot yoga this would make the perfect treat! Banana ice cream is one of my favorite post-run eats during the hot summer! Pinned!

Hi Chris! How about milk? But really, it’s not even necessary. Most recipes for this raw banana ice cream don’t require anything but frozen bananas. Ooh, what about peanut butter? ;)
      Happy baking,
      Christina

1.) I am a bad friend and haven’t read anyone’s blogs in a million weeks. I missed your site. Please still love me.
    2.) I originally read “Puree in a food processor with a splash of coconut cream” as “Puree in a food processor with a splash of coconut RUM” and thought, “I thought she was detoxing?”
    3.) OMIGAWD I AGREED TO RUN A 5K TODAY WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

That’s all.

My mom and I were just talking about this!! Such a great idea, and I’m just said I didn’t know about it sooner. And sugar detox? Mad respect. I know I need one for sure.