Perfect Iced Tea for two

I’ve got a peaceful morning routine ‘round these parts.  I’ve told y’all about it before.

But, once the sun starts to get a little higher in the sky and Spring is in the air, I add another 30 seconds to my routine:  I make us fresh iced tea every morning.

When I reach for my morning tea cup, I also pull out 2 mason jars

I put 2 black tea bags into each jar.

I pour enough boiling water into each jar to come up half-way.

Then, I remove the tea bags, fill the rest of the jar with cold water, cover and refrigerate.

If I’m feeling particularly fancy, I add a splash of peach nectar to make peach iced tea.  It’s Mr. Dessert For Two’s favorite drink in the world (besides moonshine; more of that coming soon!), and I’m more than happy to make it for him.

I have other variations up my sleeve too:

-one bag of black tea, one bag of lemon herbal tea
-one bag of black tea, one bag of mint herbal tea
-a spoonful of sugar in the bottom of the jar to make sweet tea
-a strip of orange or lemon zest, or even a few hibiscus flowers

Don’t forget about the giveaway for Keep It Sweet baked goods!

Perfect Peach Iced Tea for two

Makes 2 jars of tea.
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 2 cups filtered, chilled water
  • 4 black tea bags
  • ½ cup peach nectar (optional)
  • 4 teaspoons sugar (optional)
  1. Into each mason jar, add 2 tea bags and pour 1 cup of the boiling water into each jar. Steep uncovered for 3-4 minutes.
  2. Remove tea bags, stir in peach nectar or sugar into each jar (if using), then fill the rest of the jar with the chilled water. Screw on the lid and refrigerate at least 4 hours before enjoying.

Comments

If you have any sort of Latino grocery, they will definitely have peach (and a billion other) nectar in cans and bottles. If not, look on the top shelf at your grocery store for a brand called “Looza” in a tall skinny bottle.

Mr. Schalk would LOVE this (and so woud I). I used to make sun tea, but it made so dang much we could never finish it before it got weird tasting. :) Mr. Schalk’s favorite tea is Republic of Tea’s Ginger Peach Black Tea. It smells just like summer and tastes even better. I’m going to try your easy peasy recipe with one bag of ginger peach and one of regular black tea. Thanks! :)

this looks so good. being a tea lover, i’ve never even thought of making iced tea at home… so silly. OMG, i’m in love with those mason jars.. i wish they were easily available besides buying them on amazon. where can i buy like 2?

thanks!

Myt mom used to make sun tea like this all summer long–although hers was in a big carafe instead of single servings. Yay, tea for all! I especially like the peach nectar addition.

I love that you have changed up the flavour in these iced teas. I love a tall glass of iced tea throughout the summer but have always had lemon flavoured. So nice that you have presented us with options I would have never thought of.

My mum always used to make us peach iced tea in the summer – rather than using nectar she would soak whole peaches in the tea then strain it off. This looks quicker and just as delicious – love the way you serve it in those cute jars.

Great minds! I recently made an impulse purchase of some “iced tea bags” (we were having company over and I was in a rush.) I thought they were the cold-brew kind but they are just oversized tea bags. You are supposed to add 2 to a gallon but I found out one bag is the perfect amount for my large mason jars, which can also withstand the heat of pouring the boiling water right in them. So convenient! And I’m a huge fan of hibiscus tea – thanks for reminding me that I should brew some!