Peppermint Patties

If we are anything in this house, it is mint lovers.  But, this wasn’t always the case for me.  I used to pick peanut butter cups over peppermint patties.  I used to skip over all of Giada’s recipes that used fresh mint.  All of that changed when I found out that Mr. Dessert For Two is a mint fiend.  When he told me he loves a good peanut butter and mint jelly sandwich (I’m gagging right along with you), I knew I was going to have to incorporate mint into my cooking for him.

The first meal I ever cooked for him was a Giada recipe:  I brushed skinless salmon fillets with agave nectar and placed them on the grill.  I then set to work on supremeing oranges for a mint and orzo salad with a champagne vinaigrette.  Apparently, surpreming citrus fruit on a date is highly impressive, or so I’ve been told.

It seems that my baking lately has turned into nothing but ice cream accoutrements:  crunchy stir-ins, warm oozing toppings, and small batches of cookies to smash scoops between.

These peppermint patties do double duty:  a fun thing to make from scratch (and loads better than the store-bought variety), but also delicious chopped and folded into homemade chocolate ice cream.

I have one word of caution for this recipe:  your patties must be frozen solid before dunking in chocolate.  We are essentially dumping sugar into hot chocolate;  the potential for melting is high.  If this happens to you, save yourself the frustration and dump all of the patties in the chocolate, stir and serve as a warm mint-chocolate sauce for topping ice cream.  It happens to the best of us.  Next time, be quick with the chocolate dunking: drop the patties in on one side, flip with a fork, then remove immediately to return to the freezer.

Homemade Peppermint Patties

Makes 12 1.5" patties
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for rolling
  • 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 4 ounces dark chocolate
  • 1 tablespoon shortening (or coconut oil)
  1. In a medium bowl, add the powdered sugar. Sprinkle over the top the water, corn syrup and extract. Slowly beat the mixture together with an electric mixer. At first, it will seem like the mixture won't come together, but stay with it. When it begins to clump, gather the mixture in your hands and knead it together. You should have a soft white dough that holds together well.
  2. Next, take two pieces of parchment paper of equal size and dust them with powdered sugar. Place the dough on one piece, dust with more powdered sugar and cover with the other piece of parchment paper. Roll out the mixture to ¼" thickness. Keep the dough between the two sheets of parchment paper, place it on a small baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes.
  3. Once 30 minutes has elapsed, peel off the top layer of parchment and cut out as many circles with a 1.5" cookie cutter as you can. When you run out of space, gather up the dough and roll it out again. You should get about 12 circles. Place the circles back on the cookie sheet lined with parchment and freeze solid for at least 1 hour.
  4. When ready to dunk, melt the chocolate and shortening in a double boiler until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Now, take the patties out of the freezer and dunk them QUICKLY in the chocolate. Place them back on the sheet and freeze to set. Store in the freezer.

Comments

I made old-fashioned peppermints last week using confectioners sugar, butter, & mint extract and I wrote in the post I wanted to make chocolate dipped mints but worried they wouldn’t hold up to warm/hot chocolate. Well, this post just proved me wrong. Gorgeous looking patties!

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for writing. I didn’t try to make the recipe with agave nectar or butter. I suspect the agave is too thin, but how about coconut oil instead of shortening?

Happy baking :)
      Christina

I love chocolate and mint together. I can never taste the chocolate though. I think mint just takes over, but I don’t mind. Mint anything (except EXTRA chocolate chip mint ice cream gum) is delicious and I will eat an obscene amount of it. As for the peanut butter and mint sandwich… I have no words for that. o.O

They are simular to our peppermint creams that we make in england but we add a little green food colouring to them and only coat half in chocolate

Gorgeous and yummy! I love chocolate and mint together…never could understand the people who don’t get all excited about the combo. Mr. Dessert for Two is genius for the PB & Mint jelly sandwich…this is hillarious and sounds awesome to me!

oh, yum! what a fabulous idea to make homemade peppermint patties – love it! although i am a bit skeptical about your honey’s love for peanut butter + mint jelly sandwiches – i’m not sold on that one yet! =P

Yum! My boyfriend is a huge mint fan too – he’s always asking for mint choc chip ice cream and minty desserts so this would be absolutely perfect for him. I think I’ll try them crumbled into ice cream…

I’ve always wanted to make these! Glad I read your tips before I did because I tend to have low patience level and could see myself not freezing the mint all the way before dipping in chocolate. Looks like the wait is worth it!

I love mint as well. I’ve been looking for small batch candy recipes to try my hand with. It’s something I remember doing as a kid with my grandmother but I haven’t done any since I was about 10.

A number of things:

1.) PB and mint jelly? I can’t decide if that’s better or worse than my best friend’s favorite, pb and pickles. Yuck (although I do love mint jelly on my lamb…but that’s because it is LAMB and not PB.)

2.) I think we have thoroughly proven the old adage “the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” (I made Ryan risotto on our first date…)

3.) My momma is a crazy mint and chocolate lover. She will love these!

I am a mint lover too but I must say, I’ve never tried mint jelly and peanut butter together. I’m thinking it would be pretty good. Your chocolate peppermint patties are perfect!!

I’ve made peppermint patties before and I couldn’t believe how easy they were! And they were a definite hit! Yours look great =)