Fall Sangria

I’m a year ’round wine drinker.  California will do that to you, I tell ya.

My Kansas friends aren’t very into wine, so I’ve been designing wine cocktails to ease the process.  Everyone likes fruity wines, so I had the idea to create a sangria with the darlings of fall:  figs.

For this recipe, I used a mix of  Mission and Kadota figs.  A few strips of orange zest and a dash of fall spices really sealed the deal.

My only trouble is I can’t decide if it tastes best hot or cold.

\

Fall Sangria

Makes 2 glasses
  • 1½ cups light red wine (I used Pinot Noir)
  • ¼ cup Cointreau (orange liquor)
  • 2 3″ strips orange zest
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
  • 8 whole fresh figs, chopped
  • ½ cup sparkling wine for topping (I used Brut Rose)
  1. In a large mason jar or bowl, combine all ingredients except sparkling wine.
  2. Mash the figs into the drink gently with a wooden spoon. Shake jar or stir well to dissolve spices. Let sit for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
  3. To serve, divide between 2 wine glasses and top with sparkling wine.

Comments

What a lovely idea! We are keen wine drinkers but sometimes it’s nice to have something a bit different up your sleeve especially for parties and the like.

I’m with you – totally a year round wine drinker and I definitely love a good sangria! I love that you put figs and cointreau in your sangria – this is pure brilliance! We don’t get many figs over here so as soon as I find some, I’ll snap em right up and whip up a pitcher of your recipe! BTW, what kind of wine did you use (producer)?

Yum! I made a similar fall sangria last week, but with apples and it was delicious! We drank it cold, but I bet hot would be awesome, too. I love that you put figs in yours!

4. Shannon Swiger says

I must say this is my favorite new blog! I’m so excited to find you!! Figs are my favorite thing ever so I can’t wait to try this and your Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes recipe. Thanks for sharing so many awesome recipes and pictures. I’m looking forward to following your many cooking adventures!

5. Heather says

This looks delicious! Quick question~I have never used figs before (terrible I know) but would love to try this! Can someone help me out with how to work with them? Recipe says chop them up and also then to mash into drink…do I leave the outside peel on? Mash just the inside? I’m sure this sounds silly to some but I have never even held one before to know what to do with them! Either way will give it a go but would appreciate the “Figs for Dummies” help :)

6. Jamie says

If you’re interested in trying some local wines (and haven’t already), BlueJacket Crossing Winery is located in NE Kansas. It’s right outside of Lawrence. There are other good wineries in the area, but BlueJacket is our favorite.