No, that’s not a typo. I really used mashed potatoes to make truffles instead of heavy cream.
And believe me when I say: no one can tell the difference. I served them to many discriminating house guests over the past month. I watched closely for a raised eyebrow, a slight frown, anything! to tell me that you can taste the mashed potato. But, you simply can’t.
I’m in love with them. Excuse me while I indulge.
Just 4 ingredients: leftover mashed potatoes, chocolate chips, vanilla extract and a coating. I used chopped pecans, sweetened coconut, cocoa powder and 10x sugar.
Don’t make me pick a favorite.
It goes without saying (one would hope) that you may not use leftover mashed potatoes flavored with herbs, garlic, or pepper. We’re looking for cold mashed potatoes made with only cream, butter and salt for this recipe.
- ½ cup cold mashed potatoes*
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup of topping for rolling (cocoa powder, coconut flakes, powdered sugar or finely chopped nuts)
- In a small bowl, add the chocolate chips. Melt them in the microwave at 50% power, or in a double boiler. Melt slowly and stir often. When they have melted entirely, stir in the mashed potatoes. Add the vanilla. Stir, stir, stir. And stir til you can’t stir no more.
- Place the mixture in the fridge to firm up for 30 minutes.
- Pour your rolling mixture(s) in little bowls and have them ready. Take 1 tablespoon-sized hunks and roll between the palms of your hands. Roll in desired topping, then place on a baking sheet and refrigerate until firm.
- They will keep in the fridge for 1 week.