Mashed Potato Truffles

Mashed-Potato-Truffles-4

No, that’s not a typo.  I really used mashed potatoes to make truffles instead of heavy cream.

Mashed-Potato-Truffles-2

And believe me when I say:  no one can tell the difference.  I served them to many discriminating house guests over the past month. I watched closely for a raised eyebrow, a slight frown, anything! to tell me that you can taste the mashed potato.  But, you simply can’t.

I’m in love with them.  Excuse me while I indulge.

Mashed-Potato-Truffles-3

Just 4 ingredients:  leftover mashed potatoes, chocolate chips, vanilla extract and a coating. I used chopped pecans, sweetened coconut, cocoa powder and 10x sugar.

Don’t make me pick a favorite.

Mashed-Potato-Truffles-1

It goes without saying (one would hope) that you may not use leftover mashed potatoes flavored with herbs, garlic, or pepper.  We’re looking for cold mashed potatoes made with only cream, butter and salt for this recipe.

Mashed Potato Truffles

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Makes 1 dozen.
Serves: 2
  • ½ cup cold mashed potatoes*
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • ½ cup of topping for rolling (cocoa powder, coconut flakes, powdered sugar or finely chopped nuts)
  1. In a small bowl, add the chocolate chips. Melt them in the microwave at 50% power, or in a double boiler. Melt slowly and stir often. When they have melted entirely, stir in the mashed potatoes. Add the vanilla. Stir, stir, stir. And stir til you can't stir no more.
  2. Place the mixture in the fridge to firm up for 30 minutes.
  3. Pour your rolling mixture(s) in little bowls and have them ready. Take 1 tablespoon-sized hunks and roll between the palms of your hands. Roll in desired topping, then place on a baking sheet and refrigerate until firm.
  4. They will keep in the fridge for 1 week.
Notes
*You may not use leftover mashed potatoes that contain garlic, herbs, sour cream or excessive spices. I didn't try this recipe with instant potatoes; I used Russet potatoes that I peeled, boiled, and mashed with a splash of cream, milk, butter and salt.

Comments

1. Sherry says

Yum! These take me back! My mom used to make Easter egg candy with mashed potatoes and powdered sugar. They were delicious and I bet these are too, Can’t wait to try them thanks!

What a unique idea, I seriously never would have thought of that! And since mashed potatoes are healthier than plain cream that means I can eat more truffles, right? :)

WOW! I’m not believing this! Such a great invention! Dreaming about what I can make with mashed potatoes now… would have never thought dessert!

Whoa! Mashed potato truffles? Thats crazy, but I am crazy enough to try it. Plus, your photos have left me really wanting to tak a bite out of one!

5. Heather says

My mom used to make candy with leftover mashed potatoes. What a nice flashback to my childhood. Looking forward to making these soon.

What the what?! So, basically you’re saying that I can serve these truffles as a side dish? I mean, they’re mashed potatoes. I think they’d go brilliantly with fried chicken. Right?

“Waaaaaaaait, so would this still work with my goat cheese and roasted garlic mashed potatoes????”

…..

Aaaaanyway, you’re a genius. And I love the new site header.

8. Erin R. says

What the!!! But you know what? It makes perfect sense when you remember (as others have already mentioned) that people make powdered sugar potato candy all the time, which I have always wanted to try. And since potatoes are so cheap I may need to just buy a bag and start flinging out candies! What a stroke of genius putting them in truffles. Thanks!

9. Becca - Cookie Jar Treats says

Wow, I have heard of some weird and different substitutions before, but I have never in my life heard of using mashed potatoes to make chocolate truffles. Interesting.

What a surprise, I love the new look! May I just say I’m loving all up in your mashed taters?…truffles that is….I’m moved by your brilliance. Yes, I will consider these to be healthy as can be…yes I will eat the whole batch on my own even though it’s meant for two! xoxoxo

I love that you added a disclaimer about cheesey or sour cream and chive potatoes. Sadly, such a disclaimer is necessary…I know that ALLLL to well.

I would eat these in a hot second. Potatoes and chocolate? DUH.

I’m officially intrigued. What a great idea – the texture is probably perfect for these truffles. Amazing! And P.S. Christina – the site looks fantastic!!!

Ummmmm..WOW. I need to make vegan desserts for a friend’s bridal shower and thought that truffles were out…but now they are SO back in!

I love the way you think! I’m no stranger to potato candy, but I’ve never seen anything quite like this. I’ve just gotta try it.

These remind me of an old Maine candy that was recently brought to my attention called Neehams. They’re like a Mounds bar like a potato base that’s mixed with butter, sugar and coconut dipped in chocolate. I haven’t made them yet, but intend to very soon to try it out!