Have you heard that Alabama song “If you want to play in Texas, you gotta have a fiddle in the band?” If this post had a theme song it would be “If you want to impress a Texan, you gotta have Fritos on the plate.” And the Texan I’m trying to impress today? Miss Amber of Bluebonnets & Brownies. We are hosting an online virtual baby shower for her today!
Miss Amber is expecting a bouncing baby boy! I’m so excited for her and the Brit to welcome a sweet little boy. There’s nothing Miss Amber loves more than Frito chips. She did a series on her blog called Fritos Fridays where she dedicated posts to her favorite snack food. I knew I wanted to create a dessert using Fritos.
The Fritos in these cookies are awesome: they caramelize with the sugar and taste like bites of rice krispie treats inside the cookie. Insanely delicious, right?! I’m usually one of those people that can stop after just a few bites of a dessert, but I will admit, I’ve eaten at least half this batch. So, happy happy baby shower, Amber! You are so loved! Check out the other posts celebrating Amber’s impending bundle of joy:
Sugarcrafter | Breakfast Tostadas
My Kitchen Addiction | Baby Texan Cookies
My Baking Addiction | Texas Sheet Cake
Simple Bites | Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Charred Corn Salsa
Stetted | Queso Mac
Dessert For Two | Frito Chocolate Chip Cookies
Confessions of a Cookbook Queen | Coconut Tres Leches Layer Cake
TidyMom | Pizza Bread Sticks
Miss in the Kitchen | Blackberry Milkshakes
Art of Gluten Free Baking | Peach-Pecan Pie, Gluten-Free
Bon Appetit Hon | Cheddar Ranch Crackers
Food Babbles | Southern Pecan Pie
Jelly Toast | Peach Iced Tea
Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle | Decorated Elephant Cookies
i am baker | Texas Brownie Cake
The Kitchen Trials | Coca-Cola Cake
Cookies & Cups | Sticky Toffee Pudding Cookies
A Farmgirl’s Dabbles | Peanut Butter Bonbons the Size of Texas
Steph Chows | Fiesta Dip
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup Fritos corn chips, broken into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a cookie sheet with parchment or a slicone mat.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the egg yolk and beat until combined.
- Sprinkle the flour and baking powder on top and mix briefly just to combine.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and Fritos evenly.
- Scoop 12 dough balls (make firm balls for the best cookie shape), and space evenly on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges of the cookies begin to brown.