I’m here to help you streamline your cocktail routine on Fridays. Your at-home mixology skills could use a shake-up.
It’s Friday and you need a drink after work. Stat. But, you’ve had such a crazy week that making a batch of simple syrup isn’t in the cards. I got ya covered. Grab a jar of jam instead!
Jams add sweetness and body to a cocktail. Once you try it, you’ll never go back to plain simple syrup. (Unless you’re hooked on my jalapeño simple syrup, that is).
I used my final jar of fig jam that I made last season. I went heavy on the cinnamon in this batch of jam, so the cocktail has lots of spice and warmth. If your fig preserves are plain, just add a pinch of cinnamon to your martini shaker.
I chose rye whiskey because I like its grassiness. Use whatever whiskey or bourbon you prefer. A sprig of lemon balm on top is your cue to drink up.
Here’s to faster cocktails—cheers!
- 2 heaping tablespoons of fig jam or preserves
- pinch of cinnamon (optional if jam isn’t spiced)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 shots of rye whiskey
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 small sprig of lemon balm (can substitute fresh thyme)
- Fill a martini shaker with ice. Add all ingredients and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Strain and divide between two glasses. Serve immediately.