Dinner for Two: Charred Corn Tilapia

Charred Corn Tilapia | dessertfortwo.com

I’ve been making this Rachael Ray recipe for no less than 5 years.  I love it because you literally slap together ingredients you have in your pantry and freezer, and what comes out of the oven is so impressive.  It’s almost embarrassing how delicious 5 ingredients can be.

I’ve always been a Rachael Ray fan.  Her recipes make too many servings to be used often in my house, but when I was a single gal, I would always depend on her for recipes to make for men.  She makes ‘man food,’ in my opinion.  The flavors in her recipes are bold, distinct, and recognizable.  What else could you hope for when you’re cooking for a guy for the first time?  Well, you could hope that you don’t catch the dish towel on fire in front of him.  Or that you don’t clink your teeth on the wine glass when trying to sip seductively from it while cooking.  Or burn yourself and try to play it cool after you screeched and jerked your hand back so hard, you knocked the spoon out of the pot and sprayed sauce on the ceiling.  These things have never happened in my kitchen.  Not to scare you, but none of those relationships worked out.  So, I wish I could tell you that your flubs in the kitchen are endearing, it’s not.  Truth.  Cook more!

Charred Corn Tilapia | dessertfortwo.com

In the morning, defrost the tilapia and corn in the fridge.

Stir chile powder into the mayonnaise.  Smear onto the fish.  Top with the corn.  Broil until crispy, about 10 minutes.  Serve with lime wedges.  See?  You can do this!

I made a pot of cilantro lime brown rice for the side, but honestly, you could use white rice and save yourself some time.  Or the brown rice in a bag things are totally fine, too.  We’re getting dinner on the table in 25 minutes, and we’re using ingredients from the freezer and pantry.  Make it as easy on yourself as you need.

Charred Corn Tilapia | dessertfortwo.com

Charred Corn Tilapia

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 2
Serves: 2
  • 2 frozen tilapia filets, thawed
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • ¾ cup frozen corn, thawed
  • lime juice for serving
Optional cilantro lime brown rice:
  • 1 cup brown rice, rinsed
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • handful of fresh, chopped cilantro
  1. Preheat the broiler to high.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and chili powder. Smear on both sides of the fish. Press the defrosted corn on top of each fillet. It will stick to the mayonnaise mixture.
  3. Place the fish on a broiler pan, and broil for about 10 minutes. The fish will be cooked through (flaky) and white. Serve hot with lime wedges.
  4. For the optional rice: combine the rice, water, butter and salt in a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil, turn the heat to low, cover and cook for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, turn the heat off, lift the lid and place a towel over the rice. Place the lid back on and let it rest for 10 minutes.
  5. Finally, stir the lime juice and cilantro into the hot rice. Serve immediately.
Notes
Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray.

Comments

Hi Dixya, I’ve been following your Whole 30 challenge. When can you eat eclairs? hehe, sorry to tease. Would you mind telling me how you adapt this recipe to be Whole30-friendly? I’m so curious :) xo

I love me some RR, too. The perkiness with the fabulous and easy recipes make me want to track her down and befriend her against her will. I LOVE seafood and this corn-charred tilapia looks fabulous!! Well done, my dear!!

I’m sure you could, Christine! Just adjust the cooking time for the thickness of the mahi. Don’t go too thick, or the corn will burn in the time it takes to cook the fish. The broiler is hot! ;)

I’m making this with cod for dinner right now! Luckily I had defrosted those fillets this morning, yay.
    It looks amazing and I can’t believe how easy to make it is. I’ll get you back on this one, thanks for the recipe! x

Ummm kitchen snaffooos I have plenty!!! I may or may not have chipped my tooth while doing exactly what you described while drinking a beer at a college party. Who drinks out of glass glasses at college parties??? Anyway, I looove those perfectly placed and charred little corn kernels. I am for real making this ASAP! Need to buy tilapia first!

4. Kate says

My fiance and I are not really fish people – do you think I could adapt this for chicken? :) That rice looks delicious too!

Hi Kate! I haven’t tested the recipe with chicken, but I really would like to! Let me know :) Maybe try chicken breasts pounded thinly? Try to mimic the thickness of fish fillets. I’m a little worried that chicken takes longer to cook, so you might burn your corn. Keep an eye on it! And let me know how it goes :) xo

I totally make Rachael recipes when I want to make a meal I KNOW the.boy will like. So yes, defintiely GUY food. But honestly, I think this meal is everyone food!!!

Rachael Ray’s was one of the first cooking shows I watched. This tilapia looks fantastic – definitely making this soon, but I’ll be readapting it to serve 6 ;) All it’s missing is a margarita!

7. Laura says

Can you bake this instead of broil???? I have never broiled yet…so I’d be more comfortable baking it.

1. […] you name it. For dinner tonight, I decided to use a recipe I found on a wonderful food blog, Dessert For Two, a recipe she adapted from Rachel Ray! If you guys are tilapia lovers, you must try this. […]