Hummingbird cupcakes with brown sugar cream cheese frosting.
By now, you were probably hoping that I would have some things to say about our new home state of Kansas. The truth is, I really don’t.
Some days, I absolutely love it (the weather is pretty similar to northern California this time of year), but other days I struggle with the fact that everything is new. I can’t go into a store and find my way around. My first day of work, they closed the freeway near our house, which put me in panic mode because who bothers to learn more than one way to get to work in a new town?
I came home and made myself cupcakes, because I feel like I deserve it after traffic stress!
Hummingbird cake is one of Southern Living’s most popular recipes. It is a soft white cake full of banana, pineapple, coconut and pecans. These ingredients were considered special during our grandparent’s time and were saved for the holiday season. Since ingredients are available all year these days, you can make this cake any time of year. That’s a very good thing, trust me.
The traditional frosting is cream cheese, but I opted for a brown sugar cream cheese here. I love the molasses flavor paired with pecans.
If you’re more of a traditionalist, use the cream cheese frosting recipe from my Red Velvet cupcakes.
I want to say thank you so much for the sweet, wonderful, kind and touching comments on my last post.
I was worried that I was sharing a bit too much of my personal business, but your kindness proved me wrong. Thanks for reading and thanks for everything sweet you said. I took it to heart and won’t forget it.
I offer you these hummingbird cupcakes as a thank you.
Yields 4 cupcakes
Hummingbird cupcakes with pineapple, coconut and pecans, with a brown sugar cream cheese frosting.
15 minPrep Time
18 minCook Time
33 minTotal Time
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 small banana
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple, lightly drained
- 2 tablespoons sweetened coconut shreds
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup + 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3-5 tablespoons powdered sugar
- toasted pecans for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350, and line a muffin pan with 4 cups.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the canola oil, banana and sugar. Mash the banana into the oil and sugar mixture. Once it's well incorporated, stir in the pineapple, coconut, egg and almond extract. Mix well.
- Sprinkle the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt on top. Stir until combined, but don't overmix.
- Divide the batter between the 4 cups and bake 18-21 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat together the cream cheese, butter and brown sugar. Begin by adding 3 tablespoons of the powdered sugar and beating it together well. If the frosting is too stiff, add the remaining powdered sugar. Frost the cupcakes and serve.