Alright dudes. Listen up. I’m going to be your girl. I’m going to help you propose this Valentine’s Day.
All you have to do is buy the ring (check her pinterest board for examples of what she wants), and I’ll supply the adorable/charming/brag-to-her-friends proposal plan.
You’re going to bake for her. Specifically, you’re going to bake heart-shaped chocolate chip cookies. I know what you’re thinking–‘I could just buy cookies pre-made’. Or, worse: ‘those mall chocolate chip cookies are acceptable’.
I’ve got news: No and no. Baking these cookies from scratch for her is going to be the reason her friends all say ‘AWWWWWW’ in unison when she brags about your proposal swagger.
Maybe baking isn’t your thing. That is totally okay, because this recipe is so dang easy. Normally, cut-out cookies require chill time, rolling, cutting, and fancy decorating. But these cookies, no way! You make a standard batch of chocolate chip cookie dough, press it in an 8×8″ brownie pan, bake, and cut out hearts. It’s so easy!
These heart-shaped cookie cutters can be found everywhere this time of year–try the baking aisle in your grocery store. If you can’t find them there, try a store called Sur La Table. You don’t have to be able to pronounce the name of the store to shop there, ok?
This is definitely the time to be fancy and sprinkle on some salt! You can find big flaky salt at the store, too.
If your girl is a chocolate lover, you’re probably going to want to frost the cookies. Do not worry-I’m not going to ask you to make chocolate frosting. It can be kind of intimidating because the butter has to be the perfect temperature. Instead, we’re going to crack open a jar of Nutella and use that as frosting. Delicious, simple, and did I say delicious?
While you’re in the baking aisle of the grocery store buying flour, grab a jar of festive sprinkles. Anything red, pink or white is fine.
Are you ready? Let me know how it goes!
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder (can use Starbucks Via)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Nutella (optional)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Big, flaky seal salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375, and lightly spray a 8x8" brownie pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Next, sprinkle the flour, salt, espresso, baking soda and baking powder on top of the butte mixture.
- Beat until just combined, do not over-mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Press the batter into the pan, and bake for 15 minutes. The edges of the cookie should start to brown, but be careful not to overcook, or they'll be too dry.
- Let cool completely.
- Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out 4 cookies.
- Frost cookies with Nutella, if desired and decorate with festive sprinkles or salt (or both!)