Most of the time, I handle the recipe development for this site. I daydream at work, often with my hands in the dirt, about the sweet treats I'd like to scale down for you. But, sometimes, Mr. Dessert For Two has some pretty great ideas on his own. He spouted off his idea for oatmeal cookie dough bites, and I promptly made them the same day. Calm down---no raisins. I'm a raisin fan (am I the last one out there?), so I can't wait to make a version with raisins instead of chocolate chips (maybe I'll soak the raisins in rum like I did here).
This one is just for you: all chocolate and no gluten! Instead of flour in cookie dough, I used extra oats ground into oat flour. I take full credit for that idea, thank you much.
These cookie dough bites taste just like the center of a fresh-baked oatmeal cookie: chewy, spicy with cinnamon and allspice, and full of oats. If you have an extra 10 minutes, toast the oats before using them. I learned from Kim Boyce to hold a few oats on the counter next to the pan while toasting to monitor the color change. I love that little trick.
This recipe makes 8 cookie dough bites. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup oats (divided use)
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, beat together the butter and sugars. Add the milk and vanilla and continue beating. Next, add the salt and spices.
- Next, finely grind ¼ cup of the oats in a (clean) coffee grinder or food processor. Add the ground oats to the butter mixture. Continue beating until a dough forms.
- Finally, stir in the remaining ¼ cup of oats and ¼ cup mini chocolate chips.
- Scoop into 8 balls, rolling them in your hands, and serve. The dough may seem a tad wet, but the oats will soak up the moisture. Will keep for 3 days in the fridge.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 70mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g