Pineapple Breakfast Casserole

Y’all trust me when it comes to desserts, right?  I thought so.

So, believe me when I say that pineapple + buttery bread crumbs + cheddar cheese is delicious.

I found this little gem of a recipe in my Mom’s recipe collection.

My Mom is a little uneasy sharing recipes with me.  Maybe it’s because she’s afraid I’m going to make them better (by adding cheddar cheese) or maybe it’s because she’s worried I will mess up her meticulously organized recipe cards.  When I go home to visit, I always request to look through her files.  She sits right next to me (so close she’s actually pinning me down with her legs and preventing any sudden arm movement) and doles out the recipe cards one by one.  I can’t look at another recipe until I’m done reading the first—not unlike looking at fine jewelry at a store.  My Dad finds this absolutely hilarious, and I’m lucky that he always offers to copy the recipes for me in bulk and mail them to me.

If I haven’t told you before, adding cheddar cheese to fruit is a decidedly Texan thing.  Don’t knock it ’til you try it.  My parents especially love it on canned peaches and pears.

Print this little 5-ingredient recipe, stow it away til the weekend, then pull it out for a slightly fancy Easter brunch side dish.  I think it goes especially well with savory  breakfast sandwiches or my buttermilk biscuits.

Pineapple Breakfast Casserole

Makes 2 pieces in a standard bread loaf pan.
  • 1 20-oz. can of pineapple chunks (packed in 100% juice)
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cheddar cheese
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs (from 1 or 2 slices of fresh bread)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350. If you're using a metal loaf pan, line it with parchment paper.
  2. In a food processor, pulse the drained pineapple until some chunks remain. Reserve the juice for another use.
  3. In a small bowl, stir together the pineapple chunks and brown sugar. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan, then top it with the cheddar. Next, sprinkle on the breadcrumbs and drizzle the melted butter on top.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes, or until bread crumbs are golden brown and crispy.

Comments

I’m trying to get my head round this combination – it seems like it could never work in a million years but I do trust your taste in desserts so it must do somehow! Maybe it’s magic?

2. Cheryl R says

I’ve made a similar recipe and it’s delicious, but has far more fat and calories. Thanks for sharing this version.

My Sister’s in-laws serve a similar dish for Thanksgiving. PIneapple, Cheddar and Ritz Crackers. They swear by it, and they’re from Michigan! :)

I love the visual of your mom “sharing” recipes. Priceless!

Have a super week, Christina! :)

I make something like this for a side dish for ham – everyone wrinkled their nose until they tried it – so good! I think my version was a Paula Deen recipe. Your’s is much prettier!

Right so I like pineapple in salads and on burgers. I also like it in desserts. SO sweet and savoury… but both at once….?? I do trust you though. And Texans. With Margarita Pie you rested your case.

Totally trusting you on this, I’m not afraid of new flavor combos. Pineapple goes well on pizza, why wouldn’t it go well with breakfast? Love it!

7. Nancy says

I recently discovered your site, and I absolutely love it. Thank you! Do you accept special requests? I would love a cake with a buttermilk and other “white” base. Can’t wait to keep working my way through your creations.

I mean, I LOVE pineapple on pizza, so obviously I’m already down with the pineapple-and-cheese situation. Boyfriend? Not so much. So this would probably end up being a brunch-for-one recipe. Not that there is a darned thing wrong with that.

really??? i do trust you on desserts, so I will take your word on this. when you were talking about your mom not wanting to show you her recipes, the first thing that came to my mind was OMG, she’s prolly scared you’ll post it. LOL. My sister refuses to share some of her secret recipes with me because she’s so paranoid. I’ve promised her that I wont’, but she still won’t budge. So hilarious this is your mom.. that’s so cute.

I think it’s so great that your mom has recipe cards. We’re so technologically advanced so all I’ll have to give my children is the website of my blog, which has a collection of all my recipes. Man, times have changed.

The ingredient list is quite unique on this one but since I trust you completely, I will definitely make this soon! :)

Looks great! I always have my apple pie with a chunk or two of cheddar. I’m thinking I’d love to make this recipe with apples and see how it turns out.

I’m accustomed to seeing this casserole served as a side dish, but it would be fantastic for breakfast! Thanks for the idea and recipe! Cute story about your mom!

The pineapple part I got, the butter bread crumbs I got too, but the cheddar cheese? Definitely sounds a little strange in combination with the pineapple, but I’ll try it! Looks delicious!

Strage indeed! It’s true I will eat Hawaiian pizza….but not sure about this! lol. I think you are going to have a lot people trying it to figure out what we think! :) You obviously have very good taste in food!
    I wish my mom kept recipes. She is a fantastic cook, but wings it- frustrating when I want to copy something she’s done!

I just love how adorably southern belle you are! Yup, I trust your judgement, and yes, I would definitely try your pineapple casserole with yummy cheddar cheese melted on top. This looks delicious, girly!

I just had to come over and leave a comment!! Loved your comment on my site and I totally love you already, too!!

This dessert looks just different enough that I’m going to have to try it!

17. Amy says

Hello…my mom makes a pineapple casserole for Thanksgiving…and I love it…I will have to try out this recipe as I am going to have to make Thanksgiving dinner this year since we have moved away from the family. It sounds and looks yummy…can’t wait to try this recipe!!!

18. summers yummy says

Truly it sounds awesome! One of my favorite summer sandwiches is pineapple and cheese (sharpe cheddar)! Oh yeah, YUM! On light bread with mayo and pineapple slices. Simple but delicious! Light!