Blueberry Sherbet

I would say we are officially settled in Kansas.  I say this because I just pulled a batch of granola from the oven.  I view the task of stirring granola every few minutes as it bakes in a low oven as a sign that life has slowed enough to allow for such time-consuming pleasures.  If you’re curious, my go-to granola recipe is by Pam of Three Many Cooks.

I want to address something that’s been weighing on my mind for a few weeks.  When we told people in California that we were relocating to Kansas, they all but threw a pity party for us.  I’ve come to understand that everyone’s mental image of Kansas is flat, dusty and desolate.  And full of tornadoes.  So not true!  The northeastern part of the state (where we reside) is green rolling hills with lots of trees and rivers.  Now, that’s not to say that western Kansas isn’t flat, dusty and desolate.  I’m just saying not all of Kansas is like that.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.  We’re really enjoying living here.  It’s definitely a slower-paced lifestyle.  Just today, I learned that the secret to making a weekend seem longer is to reeeeeelaaaaax.  I need to stop acting as if accomplishing everything on my to-do list is the only thing that makes me feel good.  A sense of accomplishment has always been too closely tied to my happiness.

Not an hour ago, I had a huge recipe flop.  All I have to show for my hard work is a page of conflicting recipe notes, too much flour on the counter, and a sunken brownie fudge pie that contains too little sugar.  I decided to fight the urge to buckle down and master the recipe.  Instead, I made 5-ingredient blueberry sherbet with ingredients I already had on hand.

It’s no brownie fudge pie, but it’s definitely a tasty ending to Sunday supper.

I used 1/2 cup of sugar in my batch to make it as sweet as grocery store ice cream, but you could lower it to 1/3 cup and still get great results.

Try smashing a few mini scoops of this sherbet in between chocolate graham crackers.  Chocolate and berries were made for each other.  Proof.

Blueberry Sherbet

Makes ~3 cups
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1½ cups frozen blueberries
  • ⅔ cup Greek yogurt
  • ⅓ cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • optional: chocolate graham crackers
  1. In the bowl of a food processor, add the sugar. Pulse it for about 20 seconds to make it superfine. Next, add all the remaining ingredients and puree for 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl and puree again for another minute.
  2. Freezer according to your ice cream maker's instructions. Mine only took 10 minutes in a frozen bowl.
  3. Optional: scoop between graham crackers and freeze.

Comments

1. cindy ferguson says

This looks yummy Christina! I have to say I’ve tried several of your recpes, they are always delicious and spot on, I can’t say that about everyone ;)
    Since I’m cooking for 2 I really appreciate your pared down recipes, keep them coming!

Regards,
    Cindy Ferguson

Oh I hate it when a recipe fails! For me, it’s a bit like riding a bike – I have to make it again until it works – but can totally understand why you turned to this instead. You could say it was a lucky mistake as the resulting sherbert looks utterly scrumptious :-)

I’m so glad Kansas is treating you well! A friend of mine says they have the best Mexican food in Kansas! You’ll have to let me know. And this sherbert, man is it beautiful! I almost don’t want to eat it because it’s too pretty. But then again, I bet it’s too tasty NOT to try!

Kansas always sounds to me such a romantic place I think, mainly, because I’d only heard of it from the wizard of oz for a long time! But it sounds like it suits the two of you very well and it’s great that you’ve got a chance to get back in the kitchen again (even if there is the odd fail!)

I love blue errors and this recipe sounds perfect on a warm summers day. I love the idea of putting it between 2 chocolate graham crackers.

As for Kansas, I’m from the Midwest and went to KU in Lawrence. You may not be familiar with that yet since you’re new to the state but it’s about 50 minutes west of KC off the turnpike. After graduating college I lived in Kansas City for 3 years and loved it. Kansas is a great place to raise a family, very friendly people and less stressful than California. I think you’ll love it. What city or town are you residing in?

Can’t wait to see pictures of your new home! I’ve never been to Kansas, but one of my friends said the mountains are great for mountain biking and hiking in certain parts…sounds like lots of fun! Your sherbert recipe is just what I need on a hot day…great things can come out of recipe flops! I’d totally eat those little sherbert sandwiches! :)

Yum! This looks really nice, and I’m not much of a blueberry fan.

And it’s a wonderful feeling when you know you’ve finally settled in enough to just take everything all in and have time to do things you love, instead of stressing about getting boxes unpacked and whatnot.

Glad you wrote that.. yeah, I definitely had a misconception about Kansas. I think the country in general has a much slower pace in the midwest and south. NY, NJ, CA have a different pace of life. Yes, I definitely rellllllllllllllaxed all weekend , it felt longer, yet only 2 days off.
    :-)
    This blueberry sherbet (sorbet) looks so good.

Glad to hear that you are settling into your new more relaxed life in Kansas. This sherbet looks wonderful (love blueberries) and thanks to you, I now know that chocolate graham wafers exist (where have I been for Heaven’s sake???)

I’m so glad to hear you’re enjoying life in Kansas and not letting those naysayers get you down! This sherbert sounds so delicious and full of fruity flavor! Love it!

I love Boston, but sometimes dream about moving somewhere simpler and more relaxed. Congrats on your move! I love blueberry anything (especially at this time of year) and this sherbet looks incredible!

12. Allison Ohl says

Do we need an ice cream maker to finish this recipe or do I just put the mixture in the freezer?

Yes, step 2 of the recipe indicates that you need to freeze it according to your ice cream maker’s manufacturer’s directions. Every ice cream maker is different, so I can’t tell you exactly how to freeze it. Mine takes 10 minutes.

1. […] 45. Blueberry “Ice Cream” Sandwiches We love ice cream sandwiches made with cookies for dessert — it’s like two desserts for the price of one! In this recipe, the filling (more of a sherbet than an ice cream) is made with Greek yogurt, a bit of heavy cream, frozen blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Chocolate graham crackers serve as the “bread” for this creamy treat without adding too many extra calories.  […]