Strawberry Pretzel Parfaits

Strawberry-Pretzel-Parfait

This dish comes to you by way of my craving for something salty and sweet and my Southern heart, of course.  If you’ve never had strawberry pretzel salad in all of its Cool Whip glory, you haven’t lived.  Befriend a blue-haired lady at Church, offer to mow her lawn and she’ll make you a strawberry and pretzel salad.  (Did I mention you should probably cross the Mason-Dixon line before attempting this)?  Once you receive your strawberry pretzel salad, you’ll notice the strawberry gelatin topping.  You will think “I don’t like Jell-o.”  But, grab a fork anyway.  Once you dig in past the strawberry gelatin part, you’re rewarded with a creamy sweet layer and a salty-sugary pretzel crust.  It might just be one of the world’s most perfect casseroles.

We’re going to ditch the gelatin and Cool Whip, friends.  I want to be able to eat this for breakfast.  So, grab a tub of full-fat yogurt.  Yes, full fat.  Mine clocked in at 3.5% fat.  That’s not too far above your 2% milk.  You can do it.  You need creaminess in your life.

In a pretty cup, layer brown-sugar sweetened yogurt, strawberries married to their sticky sweet syrup, and crushed pretzels.  Oh baby.

Strawberry-Pretzel-Parfait-2

Strawberry Pretzel Parfait
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 2

• 12 strawberries, diced
  • 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
  • 1 cup pretzel mini twists,
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • pinch of cinnamon
  • ¾ cup whole milk yogurt (or sour cream)
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  1. Place the strawberries in a shallow dish and sprinkle the granulated sugar on top. Stir to combine. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, add the pretzels to a food processor. Pulse until they are broken into small chunks. Some will pulverize, some will stay chunky. It’s all good.
  3. Drizzle the melted butter and cinnamon over the crushed pretzels and pulse a few times to combine. Scrape mixture out of food processor and set aside.
  4. In a small bowl, add the yogurt or sour cream and brown sugar. Whisk together to break up any brown sugar lumps.
  5. Into each serving vessel, layer yogurt, strawberries, and pretzel mixture. Repeat. Garnish with extra yogurt and crushed pretzels.
Notes
It’s best to eat this right after it’s made; the pretzels quickly become soggy.

Comments

I’ve never had strawberry pretzel salad but I love a good sweet and salty dessert. These little parfaits are adorable, love that they can be breakfast!

I can’t believe I’ve never heard of strawberry pretzel salad, although to be fair I’ve never lived below the Mason Dixon line. But it sounds like I’ve been missing out! Good thing I have all the ingredients to mix this up later today!

Clearly I need to go to church and find me a blue haried lady because I’ve never had strawberry pretzel salad and I don’t mind jell-o so much ;) I love what happens when you’re craving salty/sweet – these parfaits look awesome!

It’s all about desserts for breakfast or breakfast for dessert on our blogs at the moment it would seem! I love the idea of creamy yoghurt with crunchy pretzels and sweet strawberries, yum!

Oh the myriad of foods that can only be found south of the Mason-Dixon. Southern blue-haired ladies definitely have better recipes than northern blue-haired ladies. But that probably didn’t even need to be said.

6. Carol says

Oh my goodness! I’ve never made-or eaten-that salad with strawberries-I use peaches and peach Jell-O and it’s delicious. My husband suggested making it into a pie…….I like this idea much better. The strawberries are getting better at the store-I can’t wait to try this.

Thank you so much, Christina! :)

7. Chrissy says

Missouri is on the Mason-Dixon line. We are familiar with this scrumptious dessert/salad in our neck of the woods. Nice to have you come up with a pint size version.

I love your breakfast version of this salad! Everything is more fun when layered into a parfait anyway. Especially when it involves getting to eat dessert for breakfast!

In the midwest we are also fans of calling whipped topping mixtures “salads” and I think it’s so funny! Have you had Snicker Salad in Kansas yet?

Anyway, I’m not a huge fan of strawberry pretzel dessert, but I think I could totally get behind your version with full fat yogurt. Love!

I am so overdue on telling you this, but I am so inspired by this blog post in particular! My mom makes a mean strawberry pretzel salad, so I immediately thought of her. Maybe it will be in the works for Mother’s Day! Toodles!

11. Michelle K says

OMG!!!! Those look soooo yummy! Going to have to make these!!!
    Salty & Sweet – my favorite

Delish! As a 30 yr Weight Watcher veteran, I’d cut the butter and just sprinkle the cinnamon on the strawberries or mix it in the yogurt. I used Greek yogurt, but will try it with Honey yogurt and omit the brown sugar next time. Excellent start to a healthy breakfast or dessert!
    I do have to say, I love strawberry pretzel salad, and having lived in both North Carolina and Minnesota (3 yrs in each), no one can hold a candle to Minnesotan jello salads!!

13. Michelle says

I love Strawberry Pretzel dessert. Now I won’t have to wait for a picnic or pot-luck to enjoy it. Thanks!!