Tahini Swirl Brownies

Tahini-Swirl-Brownies @dessertfortwo

The massive jar of tahini is still not empty, in case you were wondering.  And, I’m still not done stirring it into desserts.

Hold it right there, though, friends—if you’re craving super sweet brownies, these are not for you. However, if you find yourself snapping off a piece of 70% dark chocolate for a snack, these are for you.  The brownies are light on the sugar front, and heavy on the dark chocolate.  The tahini is straight-up, no sugar added.  Bittersweet is the operative word here.  I happen to love them, but I wouldn’t reach for these in a GIMME GIMME CHOCOLATE rage.  For that, I reach for these.  Or these.  Or better yet, these.  You’re welcome.

Tahini-Swirl-Brownies | @dessertfortwo

But just because I wouldn’t bring these to a girlfriend after a breakup doesn’t mean you shouldn’t make these and enjoy them.  Let’s call these sophisticated palate brownies, ok?  If we top them with double chocolate chunk ice cream, we are still sophisticated, by the way.  I checked.

Have I inspired you to check out your local ethnic market for tahini?  I buy so many unusual ingredients there, that I could probably do a weekly post on fun new things to try.  I’m so grateful that we get to eat 3 times a day.  I can’t think of a more joyous way to live!

Just a final note about ingredients:  the tahini I use is 100% natural.  No salt; no other ingredients listed besides sesame seeds.  I’m not sure what would happen if you used a lower quality tahini.

Tahini-Swirl-Brownies | dessertfortwo.com

I am forever grateful to Nicole for introducing me to Tahini Swirl brownies. That girl is a genius. Then, she went made my tahini chocolate chunk cookies gluten free and refined sugar free! Check out her version here!

Tahini Swirl Brownies

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Yield: 2 brownies
Serves: 2
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 2 tablespoons pure tahini
  1. Preheat the oven to 325, and have a rack in the lower third of the oven.
  2. Line a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang to easily lift out the brownies after baking.
  3. Dice the butter into 8 pieces, and then add it to a microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle the sugar and cocoa powder on top.
  4. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir, and then microwave another 30 seconds.
  5. Remove the bowl from the microwave carefully (it will be hot!), and then stir in the salt and vanilla. Stir for a few minutes to cool the mixture. Next, stir in the egg. Stir the egg into the batter until it entirely disappears, about 20 strokes.
  6. Next, add the flour to the batter, and then stir for 40 strokes. Stir vigorously to incorporate air into the batter. Sorry, I know I'm making you work hard for these brownies.
  7. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, and level the mixture. Next, scoop the tahini on top of the batter, and use a knife or toothpick to swirl it in.
  8. Bake on the lower rack of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with only moist crumbs clinging to it. My gas oven took 20 minutes, but my Mom's electric oven takes 25 minutes.
  9. Let cool slightly, and then remove the brownies from the pan to cool completely. Slice and serve.

Comments

Looks great and sounds super unique!
    Tehini is very popular here but I’ve never tried tehini brownies
    I wish I could have a big slice now :)

“Tahini swirl brownies” definitely caught my attention. At first I was skeptical, but I too enjoy dark chocolate and desserts that aren’t overly sweet. And sesame seeds ARE pretty good. So, this might not be as crazy as it sounds and tahini may very well be on a quest to replace peanut butter.

I’ve been on the lookout for tahini dessert recipes because, I too, have a HUGE jar of tahini. I mean, how much hummus can one girl eat?! And bittersweet chocolate? The darker the better! Putting these on my list!

4. Karen. d. says

Wow, really need to try tahini and chocolate. I replace peanut butter in a homemade clif bar recipe with half almond butter and half tahini. Has a great flavor.

Hi Christina. These are beautiful! I love tahini, but I’ve yet to do much baking with it. Brilliant idea! Thank you for sharing these with us today.

I’m a dark dark dark chocolate girl, so you can find me this weekend siting in my apartment eating these pinkies up. Because, sophisticated. Also because the.boy likes milk chocolate only. (More.For.Me. <3)

So I was talking to my mom earlier this week and she mentioned she was going to try making tahini chocolate chip cookies. I immediately told her to check out your recipe. Now I can tell her to check out this brownie recipe too. I’m not usually a chocolate girl, but you won me over with the dark chocolate, which I do enjoy! Can’t wait to try these out!

Love how these are marbled on top. And loving the bittersweet twist on a brownie. Would never have thought to add tahini, but bet it goes beautifully with chocolate. Almost like peanut butter, but a little more refined.

I’ve never thought to add tahini to any of my baked good, how creative and delicious that sounds! I don’t have a huge sweet tooth, so these would be perfect. I’m very intrigued by these and I can’t wait to try them :)

I recently made tahini, so now I have to make these! They look so yum! I mentioned on my blog that these beauties are on near the top of my “to bake” list.