Cherry cheesecake dip for two–your next date night dessert for two.
Can we conquer a cheesecake craving without eating an entire cheesecake? Maybe.
Are we going to eat both servings of this cherry cheesecake dip for two? Maybe.
Are you going to make this dip 17 times before summer is over? That’s a definite yes.
If you’ve ever been to a party with this dip, you will remember nothing about the party and everything about this dip.
It’s addicting. Smooth and creamy. Tart and sweet. So simple, so fine. So very right on time.
This cherry cheesecake dip came about because I found a bag of frozen tart cherries at Whole Foods the other day. My mother-in-law is coming to visit in a few weeks, and she loves loves loves Michigan tart cherries. She lives way down in the deep South where tart cherries do not grow. I grabbed a few bags for us to bake with while she’s here. Then, this dip flashed into my mind.
I’ve eaten this dip at potlucks many times (where calories don’t count), but I knew those versions used canned cherry pie filling.
I have nothing against canned cherry pie filling, except that I was lacking it, and meanwhile, my freezer was stocked with tart cherries. So, we made our own on the stove. Four minutes, I tell ya.
The cheesecake base is made from softened cream cheese, Greek yogurt, butter, brown sugar and vanilla. I added the Greek yogurt not to be virtuous, but instead to give it some tang.
This is so not diet food. (You’re so very welcome).
Graham crackers are nice here, but chocolate grahams are even better. Did you know I have recipes for homemade graham crackers and homemade chocolate graham crackers?
If you make this recipe as-is, it serves two people generously (the serving size pictured is the actual serving size). However, you can easily double or triple this recipe to feed a crowd. I’ve heard from several people who have done it, and we even did this on my book tour last summer.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup frozen tart cherries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a small bowl, beat together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt and vanilla on HIGH speed with an electric mixer. Beat very until until no lumps remain. You really can't over-beat this mixture. Fluff is what we're going after.
- Next, melt the butter and brown sugar together in a small bowl, either in the microwave or in a small pan on the stove. Let the butter gently sizzle and stir until the brown sugar dissolves fully.
- Beat the butter-brown sugar mixture (AKA HEAVEN) into the cream cheese mixture. Set aside.
- Next, add the cherries, granulated sugar and a splash of water to a small pan. Turn the heat to LOW and heat until thawed and oozing juice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together (quite vigorously) the cornstarch with another tablespoon of cold water. Pour the mixture into the cherries, and stir stir stir.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 624 Total Fat: 37g Saturated Fat: 23g Cholesterol: 104mg Sodium: 230mg Carbohydrates: 62g Sugar: 31g Protein: 9g