If our neighborhood kids have any hope getting candy from us this year it’s solely because I made these cupcakes to distract Mr. Dessert For Two from the Halloween candy bowl. We have discussed his unusual predilection for mint (including peanut butter and mint jelly sandwiches). I’m afraid I’ve been abusing my powers with mint. Just this weekend, I filled my purse with my homemade peppermint patties and used them to ease him through the process of buying new furniture for our living room. We went into a store looking for a couch. After a few hours and a few peppermint patties, we came out with a couch, two chairs for sitting by the fireplace, and a gorgeous reclaimed wood table. The power of mint.
I hope y’all have a wonderful and safe Halloween! Stay out of the candy bowl ;)
makes 4 cupcakes
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line 4 cups in a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and instant espresso powder.
- In a small bowl, stir together the oil, vanilla, brown sugar and buttermilk. Stir well to dissolve brown sugar.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Divide the batter between the 4 cupcake liners and bake for 14-17 minutes, or until done. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat together with an electric mixer the powdered sugar, butter, cream, peppermint extract and food coloring. Beat very well until fluffy. Frost cupcakes and serve.