So, I was talking to my friend Corey the other day, and we agreed that this whole ‘Single Awareness Day’ thing is sad. Yeah, not having a significant other can suck at times, but we just don’t think that’s the way you should look at it. We think Valentine’s Day should be a celebration of love. Love for everyone in your life—girlfriends, boyfriends, friends, family, dogs, cats, lizards, everyone! I’ve been single more times than not during Valentine’s Day in my life, so I’ve always celebrated ‘Gal-entines Day’ with my girlfriends. We get together, pop some champagne, make a ridiculously rich dessert, and enjoy the night together. It’s hard to be upset about not having a life partner when you’re surrounded with your best girls.
Another thing that makes it easy to forget your love life status: CHOCOLATE. Amen.
I created this dessert for you and your girlfriends because not only will you devour it in seconds, it’s fun to put together. Put one person in charge of the mini waffles, designate an ice cream scooper, and choose your most adept friend in the kitchen for the melted chocolate part. If you love the raspberry and chocolate combination (or strawberry and chocolate!), you should seek out freeze-dried fruit to crush and roll the sandwiches in. I buy bags of freeze-dried fruit at Trader Joe’s, and I’m officially hooked on them. I love the tangy crunch they give these sandwiches. You can also roll them in sprinkles, mini chocolate chips or coconut—whatever sounds good to you and your girlfriends!
Likewise, choose your favorite ice cream flavor. This combo of chocolate waffles, coffee ice cream, and crushed raspberries is my favorite, but I would love to hear about what flavors you create!
Cinnamon waffles + vanilla ice cream + cinnamon-sugar dusting? Churro bites?
Plain waffles + chocolate chip ice cream + caramel dip?
Chocolate waffles + chocolate ice cream + chocolate dunk + chocolate sprinkles / DEATH BY CHOCOLATE?
Let me know what flavor combos you come up with, and have fun celebrating everyone you love in your life!
Cheers to Galentine’s Day!
And a little love bite from me to you:
- 1/2 box frozen mini chocolate waffles (4 sheets), defrosted
- 1 pint coffee ice cream, softened
- 1/3 cup freeze-dried raspberries, crushed
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Create an assembly line:
- Toast the waffle sheets light in the toaster, and break each sheet into 4 individual waffles.
- Scoop mini scoops of ice cream onto half of the waffles.
- Top each ice cream scoop with another waffle.
- Have the freeze-dried raspberries crushed in a bowl on the side.
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Pulse in the microwave on medium for 20 seconds. Stir and pulse again until the chocolate is almost entirely melted. Stir to melt entirely.
- Dip half of each waffle sandwich in the melted chocolate.
- Roll each waffle sandwich in the crushed raspberries.
- Serve immediately.