Funfetti cakes from scratch, made just for two in ramekins are here! Finally!
It’s like your own personal birthday cake in a cup…that you don’t have to share at all.
Funfetti and I have not always gotten along, to be honest. The only time I had it was when it was made with a cake mix, and I think the baker didn’t exactly follow the instructions on the box. Unless gritty sand cake was the goal? I know not.
Anyway, I avoided the stuff for a long time. I’ve even made a few statements here and there about how I don’t really see the point of sprinkles…they don’t really taste like much.
And then, friends, I had a daughter. And she LOVES sprinkles. She likes the colors, the sweet little crunch, and the sound the jar makes when you shake it. And I’m kinda getting into them, too.
Now, being the crazy Mama that I am, I had to seek out sprinkles made with plant-based dyes. You knew I would do this, didn’t you? You’ve seen my homemade baby food section, right?
So, these are the exact sprinkles I use. But but but, when I was recipe testing these cakes, I used up some leftover Christmas and Halloween sprinkles (made with all the chemical dyes and what-have-you), and I will confess: the cakes made with artificially dyed and flavored sprinkles had a taste more similar to ‘real funfetti.’
I’m going to leave the choice up to you. Use whatever sprinkles you have in your pantry (because we all have leftover sprinkles that need to be used up and these funfetti cakes from scratch are totally calling your name right this second).
Two tiny little cakes in ramekins still makes me endlessly happy.
Probably because I ate both servings.
Oh, and these are the exact ramekins I use!
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- big pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles
For the frosting:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- splash of milk, as needed
- sprinkles, for garnish
- First, spray 2 4-ounce ramekins very well with cooking spray, and set them on a mini baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, sugar, oil and vanilla until very well blended. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients in two batches to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk (1 tablespoon at a time), and stir gently to combine.
- Stir in the sprinkles at the last minute.
- Divide the mixture between the two ramekins.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the cakes cool, make the frosting: beat together with an electric mixer the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla, adding milk as needed to make it spreadable.
- Frost the cakes, and decorate with more sprinkles. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 718Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 369mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 1gSugar: 46gProtein: 10g