I have an unhealthy amount of jam in my pantry. My neighbor gives me jam, my friends make jam, and I make jam. And, while the best vehicle for jam is toast, I try to avoid sugar in the mornings. I have a whole heap of sugar coming my way by 4pm every day; let’s not start the engine before then, ya feel me?
I was specifically hoarding this one type of jam because it came from a friend’s orchard back in Cali. It was a lovely golden jar of ginger-peach jam. I know, it sounds lovely, right? I just couldn’t find the occasion to enjoy it. There hardly seemed bread worthy enough. But, a buttery crust flecked with coconut flakes and almond meal? This jam bar is definitely worthy of the best jam in your pantry.
The crust on these jam bars is magical. Yes, magical. It’s a unique combination of almond meal (because I have a huge bag of it in my freezer for making a small batch of macarons and the chewiest chocolate cookies when the mood strikes and I’m always trying to use it up!) and unsweetened coconut flakes. The coconut almost dissolves in the mix, just leaving its tropical kisses behind. When almond meal combines with butter and regular flour, it tastes like graham crackers. It’s wild. It was love at first bite.
I originally made these bars just to share with my neighbors and family, but after one bite, I knew I had to stop eating, take photos immediately, and share them with you.
Well, you really could make these with all regular flour instead of the almond meal, but I really recommend the extra trip to the store. I buy mine at Trader Joe’s, and it’s cheap–it’s not the same thing as almond flour. Here’s a great article about the difference between the two.
Ok, grab your best jam, make these, and then come back and tell me the crust isn’t the most unbelievable texture! Get to it!
Yields 6 bars
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (plus more for pan)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg white
- heaping 1/2 cup of your favorite jam
- Preheat the oven to 350, and butter an 8x8-inch square baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond meal, flour, coconut, salt and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, cream the softened butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg white and beat until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat until combined.
- Drop half of the dough onto the bottom of the baking dish, and use your fingers to press into an even layer.
- Spread the jam over the surface (if you leave a 1/2-centimeter border, they won't stick to the pan as badly).
- Top the jam with the remaining dough, and use your fingers to make big crumbles of dough.
- Bake for 30-32 minutes, until the edges start to turn deeply golden brown.
- Let cool in the pan, and then cut and serve.