Peanut butter ice cream made vegan with coconut milk, natural peanut butter and molasses. A pinch of flaky salt on top makes this naturally sweetened vegan ice cream addicting.
This is going to sound like an apology, and I really don’t mean it that way, but here goes: this ice cream is vegan. And sweetened entirely with molasses.
I’ve been re-thinking sugar in my life lately since I have a babe that wants to eat everything I’m eating. While I could hide ice cream, candy, and dessert and indulge on the couch during her nap time, something tells me that’s not right. Truthfully, I am trying to reign in my own sugar consumption.
I’m consuming more honey, maple syrup, molasses, and agave than ever before, so I’m pretty sure this is not a diet improvement. But, if Camille has a little lick of this ice cream while she’s on my hip, I won’t flip out over it because molasses has iron. And that is my justification for everything in life: vitaminz.
Peanut butter ice cream recipe
This peanut butter ice cream tastes like the inside of a Reese’s peanut butter cup (marry me already, will you?), and it’s loads easier than making a traditional ice cream custard base.
Ice cream should be simple to make (can I get an Amen?).
In a small pan, combine 1 can of coconut cream (not the same as full-fat coconut milk…but if all you can find is a little can of coconut cream, use it plus 3/4 of a can of full-fat coconut milk. I buy 15-ounce cans of coconut cream at Trader Joe’s (it’s the one with the brown label, and it’s the same thing I use for making coconut whipped cream here). Mix it with 1/3 cup of peanut butter and molasses, and stir in a touch of salt and vanilla extract. You’re done!
Churn, baby, churn. This is the cheap ice cream maker that I use. I’ve had it for years, and it works great!
Before serving, drizzle on a little extra molasses, a sprinkling of salt and peanuts (if you like).
- 1 15-ounce can coconut cream
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter (no sugar or salt added)
- 1/3 cup molasses (not blackstrap), plus extra for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- roasted peanuts, for serving
- ice cream cones, for serving
- In a small saucepan, combine the coconut cream, peanut butter, molasses and salt. Turn the heat to medium low, and cook while stirring occasionally until everything melts together smoothly.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.
- Cover and chill the mixture entirely, at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Pour into the bowl of your ice cream maker (follow the manufacturer's directions), and churn until it has the consistency of soft serve. It only takes about 15 minutes in my model.
- Scrape the mixture into a freezer-safe container, and freeze for about 30 minutes before serving. If serving much later, let it thaw on the counter for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Scoop ice cream, drizzle with molasses, sprinkle with salt and peanuts.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 668 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 20g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 435mg Carbohydrates: 92g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 84g Protein: 8g