Small batch vegan banana muffins for breakfast, snack, and dessert!
These small batch vegan banana muffins are vegan simply because I'm on a quest to cram our diets with as much flax seed as humanly possible lately. Plus, as you can imagine, I go through a lot of eggs in this house, and I frequently start baking before I realize I'm out of eggs. My giant bag of flaxseed meal in the freezer always saves the day!
Did you guys know you can mix 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal with a few tablespoons of water, and you'll get a mixture that you can use like an egg in most baked goods? It's perfect if you're vegan, it's perfect if you just want some extra omega 3s in your diet (cuz flax seed is packed with it!).
I also crammed these muffins with oats and whole wheat flour, and sweetened them with coconut sugar. I'm going to file them under my Baby Food category, but if you make them for your adult self, please, lead that parade.
Right before sliding these into the oven, I sprinkled the tops with a few extra pinches of coconut sugar. It's why the bananas on top look like they just got back from a week at the beach. And they're my favorite part! My Camille plucks the banana slices off the top of these muffins first, too.
I should also mention that this recipe is made in just one bowl (like I would really pull out more than one bowl for a breakfast item, though--hah!) I had fun making these with Camille, because she thought mashing the banana was the best part!
The recipe makes just 6 muffins, but you can easily double it. I adapted the recipe from Dana, and you should definitely check out her crumb-topped version!
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 large banana, peeled
- 6 tablespoons coconut sugar, divided use
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- First, combine the flaxseed meal with about 2 ½ tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Stir well, and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350, and line 6 cups in a muffin pan with liners.
- First, reserve 6 slices of the banana for the topping. Then, In a medium bowl, mash the remaining banana very well--mash until it looks liquid-y and resembles baby food.
- Next, stir in the flaxseed meal & water mixture, followed by 5 tablespoons of the coconut sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Sprinkle the whole wheat flour, regular flour, baking soda, salt and oats on top. Mix very well.
- Divide the muffin mixture between all 6 cups. Add a banana slice on top of each muffin, and sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of coconut sugar on top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out cleanly.
- Serve warm. Store any leftovers tightly covered on the counter for up to 1 day.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 299mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g