Ok, sweet friends, I’m off! We’re off to get married! I will be back in about a month.
We’re aiming for a cell phone-free, computer-less, and TV-free honeymoon. Technology has no business on a honeymoon.
So, that said, I have a recipe or two pre-scheduled to post, but I won’t be around for any baking trouble-shooting. Just remember: softened butter doesn’t mean melted, baking powder must not be expired, and if you make substitutions for the entire ingredient list, your dessert will most certainly fail. Ok?
I have a sweet giveaway coming up for y’all on March 1st, so stay tuned for that. If you re-pin the post, you will receive coupons for very cool free stuff.
Back to this sweet little white cake for two! I’ve been dreaming up a mini wedding cake for two ever since we got engaged. The base of this miniature wedding cake is a 6″ round cake pan. It’s the size of the top of a standard wedding cake. Here, it’s the bottom! The middle layer is a 10-oz ramekin, and the top layer is a regular 4-oz ramekin. I think it’s the most adorable thing I’ve ever made.
The buttercream has a splash of whiskey in it as a nod to the whiskey tasting we’ve got planned for our wedding guests. We even drove to Tennessee last time we were down South to get some of Popcorn Sutton‘s genuine moonshine for the tasting!
Finally, on a personal note…could I get some good wishes and prayers from y’all? I’m seriously concerned I will do the ugly cry all the way down the aisle. You know the one: mouth gaping, mascara running, gasping for breath? Yeah, that might me be. If I could somehow be graced with those Scarlett O’Hara tears that gently flow one by one and are delicately caught with a handkerchief, I would be happy.
See y’all back here in a month or so! Goodbye!
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the buttercream:
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons whiskey (or more milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease 3 pans: a 6" round cake pan, a 10-oz. ramekin, and a 4-oz ramekin. Place the pans on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and almond extract. Beat very well. Add the eggs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat it in. Add half of the buttermilk and continue to beat. Finally, add the last of the flour mixture, beating for a few seconds before adding the last of the buttermilk. Do not over-beat, but ensure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide the batter between all 3 pans. Fill the smallest ramekin to the inside line, then fill the next ramekin to slightly below the line. Pour all remaining batter in the 6" pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove the smallest ramekin.
- Bake another 10 minutes, then remove the medium ramekin.
- Finally, bake another 5-8 minutes, until the largest cake is done (use a toothpick to test--only moist crumbs should cling to it).
- Run a knife around the edges of all the pans and let them cool on a wire rack. Do not attempt to remove the cakes until they are completely cool.
- Slice the tops off any domed cakes to make them level.
- On your serving dish, line the edges with paper so that the dish doesn't get too messy while frosting. Place the largest cake layer on the dish.
- Make the buttercream by beating together the butter and shortening. Add the powdered sugar little by little, adding the milk and whiskey to help it along.
- Frost the bottom layer of the cake. Stack the middle cake on top, and frost it as well. Finally, stack the small cake on top and frost it. Use any leftover frosting for decorations.
*If you don't want to decorate the cake, scale the frosting recipe bake to only 1 stick of butter, 2 tablespoons of shortening, and 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar. Scale the milk back to 2 teaspoons, and the whiskey just 1 teaspoon.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 931Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 34gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 191mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 95gFiber: 1gSugar: 70gProtein: 7g