Smooth luscious cream topped by crunchy caramelized sugar. Enough said. This is the quintessential romantic dessert for two.
Makes 2 6-ounce ramekins.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 2 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cream, 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla.
- Pour into the ramekins. Place the ramekins in a 8 or 9" square glass baking dish. Make a water bath for them to cook in by pouring 2 cups of very hot water into the dish, or enough to come up about 1/2" on the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake at 300° for 50-60 minutes. The custards are done when only the middle is slightly jiggly.
- Cool the custards in the water bath, then cover them with plastic wrap before moving them to the fridge for at least 8 hours.
- When ready to caramelize the sugar with a kitchen torch, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar over each custard. Melt the sugar with the torch until it is browned and hard. Serve immediately.